What Did You Do In The Garden?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did nothing except take the hail off the plastic on the lettuce and strawberries and pout. I turned 62 yesterday and planning on what to buy with all my riches. I am for sure going to be buying a tiller and I think build a couple more boxes and put hoops on for weather like this. I am still trying to figure out what to do about asparagus. I am afraid the bugs are going to eat this garden up this year. The compost is cooking in the middle. I think just one more day of the rain and going to get into the 60s.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Happy Birthday to You, Happy Birthday to You!
1sm164piano.gif

May you have lots of Spring Sunshine, @Gardening with Rabbits, and growing gardens, too!

:) Steve
can't count syllables

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I did nothing except take the hail off the plastic on the lettuce and strawberries and pout. I turned 62 yesterday and planning on what to buy with all my riches. I am for sure going to be buying a tiller and I think build a couple more boxes and put hoops on for weather like this. I am still trying to figure out what to do about asparagus. I am afraid the bugs are going to eat this garden up this year. The compost is cooking in the middle. I think just one more day of the rain and going to get into the 60s.
:hugs:hugs :hugs
Happy belated Birthday!!!!
Here is my tiller:
https://www.tillersdirect.com//Troy.../p12548.html?gclid=CMnt4Y-rx9MCFUMcaQodoTYMHQ
Don't go cheaper. I destroyed a cheaper tiller. You do not want to pretill with your spade and rake, either.
You need a plan for weeding. REMEMBER after a heavy rain is the very best time to pull weeds. Buy Preen, and when your little vegetables are about 4 inches high, weed right around them and immediately put down Preen. You may miss one or two weeds but you will prevent the seeds of the next generation from sprouting. Weeds are very successful bc their seeds will sink down in the soil every time that you dig where they dropped their seeds. When exposed to the sun they vigorously sprout.
Consider that I am at war with burdock and THEIR roots can be 2 foot deep! Last year and even one month ago I pulled out last year's dead burdock, hand picked up all seeds that I could find--some were mounds as large as a small cat!--and removed and burned the burrs with their dead stalks. Kinda reminds me of "boiling a kid in it's mother's milk" and VERY satisfying. Everything is ash and unlikely to sprout again.
I have to mow the second year burdock down and then immediately apply Groundclear over them and THEN, cover with stall leavings bc they grow when my horses are turned out and eat. They will NOT munch where their poo and soiled bedding has been dumped, unless grass is growing through, hence the importance of covering with the bedding. It also has to be a day where the soil has dried up and it isn't going to be a heavy dew the next morning. YOU can weed a garden any day of the week.Couldn't get to it last week bc I had to mow down the north pasture after I had seeded in anticipation of this weekend's heavy rains. Next time I mow, the horses get to start grazing there. It isn't really a hardship. My Vet reminded me that it is still grass founder season and Mid-May is best for allowing full grazing pony rights. She has clients who think that the shot she has given her horses for grass founder is just routine. :th Sooner or later their horses will get laminitis and won't be able to walk, so monitoring where the graze is a BIG DEAL!
You know that ANY TIME you need a pep talk you can message me! :clap I turn 60yo in December, btw.:cool:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
After trying the double digging some 8 years ago and then the digging and FILLING with manure mix last February into a pit below the garden raised bed, I REALLY think it is worth the time double digging AND filling with manure OR compost. I wrote earlier that when I stepped in this hotbed/coldbed I sunk about 6 inches and the soil on top was 1/2 and 1/2 soil with compost and VERY loose and friable. What BETTER for tiny little roots to sink deep and grow! That is where I have carrots growing.
My two leaky 100 gallon horse troughs, which now are greenhousing peppers and tomatoes in straight, rotted compost, will be planted with sweet potato slips when they become available in June.
It just shows that experimentation and good advice can help you be a better gardener!

Last edited:

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
After trying the double digging some 8 years ago and then the digging and FILLING with manure mix last February into a pit below the garden raised bed, I REALLY think it is worth the time double digging AND filling with manure OR compost. I wrote earlier that when I stepped in this hotbed/coldbed I sunk about 6 inches and the soil on top was 1/2 and 1/2 soil with compost and VERY loose and friable. What BETTER for tiny little roots to sink deep and grow! That is where I have carrots growing.
My two leaky 100 gallon horse troughs, which now are greenhousing peppers and tomatoes in straight, rotted compost, will be planted with sweet potato slips when they become available in June.
It just shows that experimentation and good advice can help you be a better gardener!

It sounds wonderful! Maybe I could do one for this year. I have enough old manure for that and get another load and at least try to do another bed this fall.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted Walla Walla Sweet Onions!

We had taken plant starts for some other onions and seed for greens ... maybe we can get to those, tomorrow.

I was right at abandoning the moving of soil off of the paths and into the beds since the tractor guy flattened everything! However, I'm back to the shovel work and not just in the dahlias. We will see how long I can sustain this level of effort ...

sore digitS'

Latest posts