What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tilled and planted some seeds. (It has been "until" until it was "till.")

There was hardly a reason not to. The wind died away and it was a very pleasant afternoon. I have seen no yellow buds on the Oregon grape, anywhere between home and the distant garden. If that is my guide to planting peas, I will say that the area is again, two weeks late in moving into the growing season and that is for the second year in a row. However, it sure seems suddenly late to be in the garden given our recent weather and what is forecast!

The forecast for the weekend suggests that we may come very close to a record Sunday high. But, there is still snow on the Selkirks, to be seen from the garden.

It might be that 20% of the Big Veggie Garden is now tilled. Less than 10% has been sown to peas, carrots and beets. More progress should be made tomorrow. For sure, a little greater depth should be achieved so that some parsnip seed can go in — not deeply sown but loosened for those roots to grow and be harvested by season's end. Some shallot seed can go in. And, for a garden meal during a break, I have some leaf lettuce from the hoop house to go in a sandwich :D.

Steve, who saw a first tulip today but not near the garden ;).

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the forecast here for the next week is cool and rainy, but perhaps some peas can go in.

we've had enough frosts overnight the past week that the soil temperature just isn't that high yet so i'm going to wait a week or two for my first bean planting (which puts me several weeks later than the past few years).

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
the forecast here for the next week is cool and rainy, but perhaps some peas can go in.

we've had enough frosts overnight the past week that the soil temperature just isn't that high yet so i'm going to wait a week or two for my first bean planting (which puts me several weeks later than the past few years).
It does not seem like it but with some late but hard frosts we have had a long cool spring here. Some years we can be in by March but not the last two so lazy gardening has been the best bet.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, I am excited. Randy brought home the backhoe last night and used it to haul out the piles if prunings and tree trimmings. I need some currant bushes pulled out and raspberries, lots yet to do but so excited to be started. Now if he would move his dang pig, I could have my greenhouse back and get the garden going
This is just the front corner of the backyard
71FFD763-30A4-46CF-B0D8-14ACE0DA377F.jpeg

It’s almost back to a blank slate. I need to find things to plant under the window that like shade. Its on the East side of the house. There is a large vine like hydrangea on the corner and the house itself. I need something hardy to put next to it, that’s safe for Fen
Thinking a small Alberta spruce in the corner
5E01A5AC-F46C-49C1-AAD7-773D9D02D68B.jpeg

I need something low right under window that can handle zone 5b
Thanks for any suggestions or encouragement!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Columbine. Some bird dropped a purple columbine years agok along my front walk.
I have it EVERYWHERE in the east side of my house and growing on the north side, too.
The plant lives 3 years, blooms in full sun/partial shade, drops hundreds of seeds so it reproduces while you garden elsewhere, is pretty and isn't a weed.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

It's been colder, cloudier, and rainier here in the PNW this year too! Finally today it will hit 72!!! I can't wait!

Latest posts