What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
planted peas and some Purple Dove beans and watered them in. it was so nice to be out in the gardens again at last. :) :) :) dirt therapy...

it just happened that the killdeer put their nest right next to the garden i decided to plant first. if we get some rains tomorrow morning i won't have to disturb the birdies at all for a day or two.

these are the same ones that have been here for quite a few years, she will sit on the nest even if i'm just a few feet away as long as i don't make any sudden moves right at the nest. she's nice and quiet once she settles down after a bit of sqwawking when i first go out to do something. there's probably another pair nesting out front someplace but we've not found their nest yet. those ones are not as tame and make a lot more noise, but we normally do not have to do as much out front so it works out ok in the end.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I’d really, really like to get peas and stuff in, in the garden, but I’m still waiting for the pig to be moved. TheMan is waiting on one or more of the cowboys to help, but they are still gathering off the desert. The ranch didn’t winter cows out there for the past several years do to rustlers having made off with over a half a million dollars worth of cattle one year. There were always cows that knew the way back home so all we had to do was start gathering and pushing them and the job was usually done in about 2 weeks. This year it took over a month and the cowboys (and their new young wives are pretty much sick of cowcamp.
P1310056.jpg

This IS Cowcamp, out on the desert.
P1310058.jpg

Cowcamp's doorless outhouse ("but it faces the other way")

P1010019(1).jpg

The remuda at Cowcamp

P1010061.jpg

Pushing my group to the holding pasture

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I also had a doorless outhouse during the days of cabin life in the woods. You can be assured that spending much time in there was NOT very much a part of my plans :D.

The cabin was built of logs but from small trees that had died on the property and there weren't many so I cut them short. The result was that I left enough room for the lid/seat but didn't realize that the floor was too short for my big feet and a closed door.

I thought of building an extended frame for the door but decided, what the heck. The outhouse faced away from the cabin and driveway and only a few feet from a thicket of young pine trees. Branches extended from about 8' up, down to the ground. That thicket also blocked the wind and so they didn't allow snow to blow into the outhouse.

😏 Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finished tilling the final 1/4 of the big veggie garden.

It didn't take very long despite having always been the most difficult to till. No tractor guy in 2022-23 to use it for making 90° turns and leaving mounds. It is slightly uphill and that increases the difficulty in flattening it. I don't mean level — just an even plane. This time, and since it is for squash, I ran the tiller north to south, then east to west, twice. It would be easier if the entire big veggie garden's 6,000 sqft was in 2 halves each 50' x 60'. Instead, it is 4 quarters each 30' wide & 50' long. It's what I was assigned ... 🙄. Of course, I used to go around the corner and add another 50 x 60, or whatever it was 🙃.

New melons started in greenhouse: Lilly Crenshaw will be a very welcome addition - if it can ripen and tastes like a Crenshaw. I used to pass through Umatilla, Oregon's melon country in late Summer, year after year. Miss those Crenshaws!

Brimos will join Diplomat as one of two Galia melons. I feel the need to gain a little "depth to the bench" for that type. Ya know, I just may need to encroach a little on the squash quarter if there are too many vines that can't be squashed. Oh no!

;) Steve

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Finished tilling the final 1/4 of the big veggie garden.

It didn't take very long despite having always been the most difficult to till. No tractor guy in 2022-23 to use it for making 90° turns and leaving mounds. It is slightly uphill and that increases the difficulty in flattening it. I don't mean level — just an even plane. This time, and since it is for squash, I ran the tiller north to south, then east to west, twice. It would be easier if the entire big veggie garden's 6,000 sqft was in 2 halves each 50' x 60'. Instead, it is 4 quarters each 30' wide & 50' long. It's what I was assigned ... 🙄. Of course, I used to go around the corner and add another 50 x 60, or whatever it was 🙃.

New melons started in greenhouse: Lilly Crenshaw will be a very welcome addition - if it can ripen and tastes like a Crenshaw. I used to pass through Umatilla, Oregon's melon country in late Summer, year after year. Miss those Crenshaws!

Brimos will join Diplomat as one of two Galia melons. I feel the need to gain a little "depth to the bench" for that type. Ya know, I just may need to encroach a little on the squash quarter if there are too many vines that can't be squashed. Oh no!

;) Steve
Haha I do not feel so bad! I increased my kitchen garden to 2000 feet and finished the deer fencing today. But I do not have a tractor though you are making me want one very badly!
20230508_160434.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Saturday, before the heavy weekend rains, DH and I knocked down the weeds in the north pasture.
EXCELLENT TIMING! It needed some good rain and I think ponies can be out on it in a few weeks for the season.
I have fencing to fix. I have let volunteer trees grow up and one has grown into the fencing pushing it out of sync.
I need to finish fixing my chain saw.
There IS a method of madness to the volunteer trees.
Farmers will use every bit of land they can get and Will encroach on Your property, if your let them.
Trees prevent this. Even if you systematically chop them down the stump can last for 5-7 years, along with the roots, and mess up their machinery.
It is a passive protest against theft.

Latest posts