What Did You Do In The Garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Just some weeding of curly dock that has seeds EVERYWHERE in my big garden. I left the turnips that have flowers and will go to seed soon to compete.
I have a habit of throwing intact weeds onto the lawn to mow over as soon I mow next.
If it's grown too tall I can mow it down and collect the top to burn.
I used my push mower to clean up the SE part of the yard against the fence, where I have several survivors from the last few years, 5 privets (I killed the other 5 by not planting soon enough :hit ),a Persian Lilac (survived a winter, despite coming from a box store,) and one surviving male holly.
I will be planting my 2 new peach trees this week close to them.
I HOPE to throw some ornamental corn right next the fenceline, along with some sunflower seeds to hide my neighbor's dumpster, now a permanent feature, and the trash that doesn't always make it inside.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
More tilling. About 3 hours there before heat and exhaustion prompted a drive home. There was a break for a sandwich. About 2/3rds of the big veggie garden is tilled and ready to go for the season. Of course, there will be ongoing beating down of the weeds - tilling the paths.

Planted some potatoes -- since Purple Viking did so poorly in this garden (while doing very well in a different one), I went for Red Viking. Might be a mistake since that one didn't do so well at another time for me but I don't remember where I planted it. It was disappointing that Purple Viking failed to live up its past performances elsewhere and several years ago now. The soil difference was probably a cause.

Planted the shallot sets that grew from saved seed of a hybrid. They are certainly different from the original and from each other but have shallot flavor. Seed from a hybrid went into flats of soil months ago and those plants were set out a few days ago. We can do a comparison ;). The OP Zebrune shallot that DW didn't like (probably because they really do look like "chicken legs") aren't making a comeback out there. Hey, I thought that trying them a good idea!

I'll say something about phenology on the Seasons/Perennial thread. It is certainly goofy this year.

;) Steve

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
More tilling. About 3 hours there before heat and exhaustion prompted a drive home. There was a break for a sandwich. About 2/3rds of the big veggie garden is tilled and ready to go for the season. Of course, there will be ongoing beating down of the weeds - tilling the paths.

Planted some potatoes -- since Purple Viking did so poorly in this garden (while doing very well in a different one), I went for Red Viking. Might be a mistake since that one didn't do so well at another time for me but I don't remember where I planted it. It was disappointing that Purple Viking failed to live up its past performances elsewhere and several years ago now. The soil difference was probably a cause.

Planted the shallot sets that grew from saved seed of a hybrid. They are certainly different from the original and from each other but have shallot flavor. Seed from a hybrid went into flats of soil months ago and those plants were set out a few days ago. We can do a comparison ;). The OP Zebrune shallot that DW didn't like (probably because they really do look like "chicken legs") aren't making a comeback out there. Hey, I thought that trying them a good idea!

I'll say something about phenology on the Seasons/Perennial thread. It is certainly goofy this year.

;) Steve
She didn't like the Zebrune shallots? I was tempted to try those one of these days, maybe it's worth reconsidering. I don't have much experience with onions or shallots, but they sure look good in the catalogues. 🤔

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got 30 tomatoes started in cell pots ( I am so late with everything! It’s been years since I had a garden) the broccoli and cauliflower have already sprouted. Fen and I are trying to clean out the rabbit and chicken shed of tons of yuck (TheMan does not clean. Ever.) I need to put stuff in compost and un garden but he has to move the PIG!! Grrr
The whiskey barrel waterfall is cleaned out but not hooked up yet. Porch is mostly cleaned off. Filled two of these big bags with trash and leaves, tumbleweeds, etc.

IMG_3314.jpeg

Did I mention TheMan does not clean? Yeah. Getting out of the wheelchair is turning into a LOT of work!😂

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
She didn't like the Zebrune shallots?
As I say, I think that it was mostly a matter of what they look like.

It has always been me with the most interest in shallots. They were something new and, after onions onions and more onions, amounted to a tasty departure. For me.

DW does seem to be coming around, however ... after decades :). The homely nature of the Zebrune must have been a step in the wrong direction ;).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted some of the brassica starts and have now finished about 75% of the initial tilling. At the speed I'm going in 2023, I'll need to start back at the first to kill weeds in the paths whenever I'm finish.

Still not much of a hurry is needed -- I don't think. What's left is for the Winter squash. We have one more very warm day and then clouds/rain/coolness. Down in the 30's, the WS suggests. I think my time off will begin tomorrow, however.

I could have finished a bit more but ran into problems, playing it straight. One bed had been built up well last year, several inches above the path. Well, that bed is in the ground for sweetcorn this year and I am not making the same mistake as the previous 2 years with spacing the rows. They will have 30" between them so that I don't have such a problem using the new tiller for weed control. The old tiller could handle narrower. I can use the new job for only the earliest pass through and then the corn plants themselves are at risk of the Infernal Combustion Demon. So, it was necessary to till up paths and flatten beds to accommodate the 4 rows of corn, 45' long. Dang rototiller needs pontoons to hold it straight not digitS' struggling along on first one side and then the other, pushing & pulling! Yeah, the tractor guy would have been welcome to till up that piece of ground. But, I doubt if I'll see the old boy again and have to live with my do-it-myself preference.

tired digitS'

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally calm & dry enough to do some work outside. Trimmed some trees, cut grass (in the dry spots) and cleaned up yard & flower garden debris.

Cleaned all of my remaining planting trays... now will inspect them for leaks & breakage, and repair any that are fixable. A bright flashlight shined from below locates the holes. I use aquarium silicone to seal any holes, and bamboo skewers glued under the tray lips to strengthen weak sides. Getting them ready for the transplant starting frenzy in a few weeks.

The plant babies are looking good. The Thunder Mountain peppers are noticeably taller than the others - which makes sense, if those long peppers are to be above the ground, I have a feeling they will need lots of support.
20230503_194013.jpg

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cleaned all of my remaining planting trays... now will inspect them for leaks & breakage, and repair any that are fixable. A bright flashlight shined from below locates the holes. I use aquarium silicone to seal any holes, and bamboo skewers glued under the tray lips to strengthen weak sides. Getting them ready for the transplant starting frenzy in a few weeks.
Recently I invested in a bunch of these exceptionally sturdy bottom trays, and they have been awesome. The surface that the pots sit on is nice and smooth, so easy to wash occastionally. I expect them to last for many, many years.

Latest posts