What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pulled weeds in the cabbage & broccoli.

The cabbage are tough to reach under but the broccoli has more weeds.

Probably 95% were purslane. They require a bucket and a carry out of the garden. The earliest flower buds on the things are just showing up. It matters buuuttttt, "Purslane produces large amounts of seed (a single plant can produce up to 240,000 seeds) and the seeds are viable in the soil for up to 40 years." This is from western Washington State LINK.

Back tomorrow early to run the sprinklers before the wind begins to pick up.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pulled weeds in the cabbage & broccoli.

The cabbage are tough to reach under but the broccoli has more weeds.

Probably 95% were purslane. They require a bucket and a carry out of the garden. The earliest flower buds on the things are just showing up. It matters buuuttttt, "Purslane produces large amounts of seed (a single plant can produce up to 240,000 seeds) and the seeds are viable in the soil for up to 40 years." This is from western Washington State LINK.

Back tomorrow early to run the sprinklers before the wind begins to pick up.
In one of the record-rainfall years when the rural garden went unplanted, purslane went to seed. It was so bad the next year that DW & I couldn't get caught up with the weeding, and I had to mow between rows. The chopped purslane turned into green goo, and kept clogging the mower. Mow 6 feet, stop to unclog mower, repeat... repeat... repeat... :th We kept it from going to seed though, and after several years of really getting after any which came up, its only a minor annoyance there now.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
In one of the record-rainfall years when the rural garden went unplanted, purslane went to seed. It was so bad the next year that DW & I couldn't get caught up with the weeding, and I had to mow between rows. The chopped purslane turned into green goo, and kept clogging the mower. Mow 6 feet, stop to unclog mower, repeat... repeat... repeat... :th We kept it from going to seed though, and after several years of really getting after any which came up, its only a minor annoyance there now.

yes, like morning glories it can take a long time to get all the seeds to sprout or become unviable, but if you keep at it consistently enough they will be less and less to deal with. oh, and those plants we call miniature hollyhocks but are mallow or something like that. those seeds also persist for some years after. good thing they make excellent mulch or worm food when left to dry on the surface.

the hardest thing i'm dealing with right now inside the fenced gardens is a large daylilly patch that was taking over and i wanted it removed, but it is not too hard to scrape it back a few times a week so it is going to be gone by the end of next summer (i hope :) )... we'll see how consistent i can be with the scraper.

another separate area which is outside the fence problem is a large patch of thistles that are growing in the neighbor's field. the sprayers never got them all and they've kept spreading as the plow goes through and chops up the roots and moves them around. the stems are too woody now for me to get the scraper easily through them but mowing did take them down for now. i've gotta get ahold of the neighbor and ask him if he'll foot the bill for the herbicide or have someone else spray them a few times to eradicate them before they get even worse (and flower!) and spread more seeds and plants around.

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I can't stand the heat so staying out of the sun as much as possible

These smell beautiful 😍
20230613_131023.jpg

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
purslane is edible... not bad a few times i've eaten it. too bad Mom won't even try it. if you can eat okra you can eat purslane.
Dunno... it might be really weird pickled, which is how I eat most of my okra. Purslane slaw anyone? :sick Or just boil it all down for fertilizer (which is the only way I would dare to return it to the garden).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can eat it but I don't wanna, @flowerbug.

Hilled up the potatoes today. A little late and their size made it more difficult. Flower buds on some of the plants. It's a good way to deal with purslane in those plants - bury them. New potatoes soon!

Had the garden watered in a 0-3 mph breeze and now the airport is reporting gusts above 20 mph. I HOPE that I don't have to water again this week because it will be even more windy soon and "somewhat," over the next few days. Wind is a problem with sprinklers. Hoping that our 30% chances of rain will do the work for me. There's a reason to drive by the garden tomorrow and will be able to see what is happening on the rain & cooling front. It's 88°f (31°C) now but the high tomorrow isn't supposed to be above 67f (19C).

Just saw a Swallowtail Butterfly struggling through the wind in our front yard. He/she decided to go over the house rather than down the driveway.

Steve 🌬️ 🦋