What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

i saw one of those the other day when i was watering, it was very attracted to the water that had gotten on some rocks and it landed and got a drink and then flew off. what was rather amazing to me was that it was a windy day and the butterfly had managed to fly against the wind to get to the watered rocks and then was able to fly off again like the wind didn't even exist...

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Weeded 2 of 4 onion beds, beans, peppers and few other plants. After having a nice visit with friends for few hours we were lacking energy.
Also noticed that something had dug up several of the corn seeds that we planted in the greenhouse. It could be mice so I set some traps and replanted the missing seeds. I hope the traps will catch whatever took my seeds!
Today it is supposed to rain!! I hope it does!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
That could have gone much much worse @ducks4you ... i was thinking you were going to say you drove over some wire or ?

the blades are ok?
Yep. I bent them 2 years ago when I backed up over a piece of cement that once housed a wooden fence post.
I HATE CEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It literally bent one blade straight down, and my riding mower has 2 blades.
Thus, I am Very careful with it. There is even this mound, where we cut down a volunteer maple some 7 years ago, and I have gotten stuck trying to mow it, so I hand mow it. I hope soon to till it down to level.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Oh, I got 26 tomato plants in the ground around 3 sides of the cistern cement top. They were VERY leggy.
I up potted some 15 more in a bucket and a muck bucket to grow better roots, and so I can put off transplanting Them for a couple of weeks.
I transplanted all of the tiny garlic cloves into pots. Middle DD is visiting next weekend, and I promised her 2 pots to put in her raised bed that has tomatoes.
I was blown away that those tiny pieces of Italian garlic sprouted.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
3 inches of rain so not much. I trellised some cukes that are getting wild. I see my purchased tomatoes came with a new fungus. :mad: Scissor city. At least they are determinate and will be gone soon. I cannot see some onion for the weeds. Scissor city. The squash are going crazy and some leaves are going by. Scissor city. I realized the tomato I planted in my wheelbarrow of mulch likes it there. I have some volunteer tomatoes I am curious about. No idea what they will be. I need to pick beans again for the 3rd time. I am glad I stocked up on foodsaver bags.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This looks useful ..

. altho, I didn't discover a likely "ditch weed."

Common and Scientific Names with pictures -- that is what we need for identification! I used to rely on Virginia Tech but their new weed website makes too much on scientific names and botanical markers for this layman.

Steve
Since my day yesterday involved hours of tilling paths and today I will be more up close and personal by sitting on a stool and pulling them out of beds – here's some information I posted in 2022 on ID'ing the darn things.

Here at home in the flower beds, things can be a little different. Black medic is especially in the Hell Strip along the curb but it sneaks across the sidewalk, under the picket fence and into the flower beds. It's not in the big veggie garden but I was noticing how it's turning up in such numbers in the neighbor's lawn!

Curious why Michigan State University didn't have it on the list, I did some searching. Yep, here it is:

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Transplanted lots of black eyed Susan's and elderberry along the outside of garden fence to create a hedgerow.
Harvested lots of mint, tulsi and stevia to dehydrate.
Watered carrot bed in the greenhouse.
Next is to fertilize roselle and melons.
It's hot and humid but nothing like what @baymule is experiencing!

Not garden related but we took some time yesterday and cleaned the porch and made it look and feel welcoming. Had our morning coffee and worship out there this morning g before kids (goats) woke up and started yelling at us 😂

Latest posts