What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Doing nothing yesterday & that's the plan again, today.

We had a serious thunderstorm here at home yesterday afternoon. I will go out to check the distant garden on my way elsewhere, today. Can't imagine that it didn't get a pounding of rain!

Where am I ? Oh yeah. Well, we do have some rainstorms during the growing season, at times. There was that HUGE hail that fell on that garden at the end of August 2022. Significant "rain" just hasn't happened in recent years.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Where am I ? Oh yeah. Well, we do have some rainstorms during the growing season, at times. There was that HUGE hail that fell on that garden at the end of August 2022. Significant "rain" just hasn't happened in recent years.

i went out to take some pictures and while i was at the wandering around mood i went back along our access road (on the other side of the north hedge) and snapped some pics of the beehives (blocking access to our property again - i'd just talked to the land owner the other day and explicitly asked him to not block our access. grrr!).

also took pics of the confluence of the two large drainage ditches (they drain a few square miles total) but they're barely running.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We're getting some heavy rains here in New England. In between showers I did manage to assemble and get this galvanized raised bed installed atop my dwindling woodchip pile. I have tomato plants (started indoors back in April) growing, and summer squash (heritage crookneck) seeds sown.
RaisedBed7Jun2023.JPG
and summer squash (heritage crookneck) seeds sown.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
finished bean planting of the last inside the fence gardens. :) :) :) watered everything that needed it and came in for brunch.

well, ok, there are some more spots i can squeeze in some more bean plants but the major gardens are finished and i can move on to other gardens outside the fences (which need some work for sure at this point, but they're not doing as badly as they could be).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Set out the later planting of sweetcorn. Probably should have 3 plantings and the neighbor once was successful with 4. It's a 72 day corn and the first transplants are growing rapidly.

Only one patch left for late greenbeans and the garden will be full. It looks like the heat in May messed things up with the peas again! Perhaps that may mean that a Fall crop will have a chance.

There is a serious need to clean the weeds out of the cabbage and broccoli. That first planting of corn will have to have the tiller run through soon or the plants will be too big to allow it.

Oh, and there is a flower on a melon vine 😁 !

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, and there is a flower on a melon vine 😁 !

i have a lone early sprout from seeds left in the garden from last year and it has sat there for the past week and done nothing at all. it's been watered. just sits there. i'm hoping this rain will be enough to give it more of a jump start.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Gathered some comfrey leaves for salves and tinctures. I need to find out where TheMan moved the compost pile to so I can add the rest. Still need to put in bush beans, cukes, etc and get tomatoes in ground but its been so cold here!!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Ducks misadventures in yardwork.
Saturday morning I ran my riding mower on the grass between the old fencing and the street. Mowed south, then north, RIGHT NEXT TO THE FENCELINE, then stuck on a stump. :eek:
What to do?!?!?
I KNEW that if I forced it I would bend a blade, so that wasn't a solution.
I thought that if I couldn't get the mower deck off I would have to have DH drive the tractor over, chain up the front grillwork on my riding mower and lift it out...to move it 2 ft.
It Was an option.
I tried first to use my reciprocating saw to cut the 2 dead bottoms of waterspouts that have been sheared off.
Almost worked, but it was still stuck.
I looked for and found a 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" piece of 18 inch long wooden, with a spikey point, and pounded it out with a hammer.
IT WORKED!!!
Then I drove away knowing that I had wasted 30 minutes of valuable gardening time bc I did something dumb.

Latest posts