What Did You Do In The Garden?

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bee what a great garden spot you've created.

The Wildbunch aka my sons, helped with the garden fence. It is not much of a fence but 3 sides are enclosed with all the different pieces of wire and old T-posts. I still have to put in one more side to plant. It's small but I have high hopes for it. I put chicken litter from my coop a few weeks ago.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20170429_143227658.jpg

Just a whole lot of activity out there!

This is the big veggie garden. There's about 50% more of the near garden and all that beyond the sprinkler pipe is not mine. That garden extension is 60' wide and I use half of it; there will be a sprinkler line laid out before long and it will divide it into 2 30' by 200' areas. We have been working in the near 150' sections as you can see by the disturbed soil. About the furthest scratchings is where chard and turnip greens were sown today :).

Nearer the camera, it's about 75' by 50' but the full width of the 50' isn't shown. Also, the flower corner is missing -- this nearer garden is in the shape of an L. Well, let's see ... from where I'm standing with the camera: shaped and then the extension is I. In a few more weeks, maybe it will be green :)!

_I

`
i'm the accent mark holding the camera and leaning because my back is sore ...

digitS'

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a huge space, no wonder you're sore! It's a beautiful sight. :)

Did you sow seeds or starts?

I'm hoping to get out and get some seeds in the ground today. On a much much smaller scale of course.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted seedlings into the tunnel space today~romaine, carrots, pak choy, broccoli. Planted flower seedlings in the garden, also planted various other flowers there today.

Mama ran the mantis through the wood chips to disturb the fine carpet of weed seedlings growing there. :rolleyes: I seem to be doing the wood chip gardening wrong as there is not supposed to be a carpet of weeds growing all over the chips first thing in the spring. I think it was placing a layer of leaves on it in the fall, there to compost on top of the chips...probably a big no no.

View attachment 19562 View attachment 19561 View attachment 19560

I have a feeling we'll be revisiting this activity throughout the season but, since it takes all of 5-10 min. and very little effort, that's not all that bad. As soon as all rows are established, I'll haul fresh chips and mulch the pathways.

Sugar snap peas are up about a foot now and doing great, rhubarb has greened up since fertilizing, chives are blooming, garlic has greened up and is multiplying, raspberries are slowly making an appearance. Strawberries are blooming. The red honeysuckle is putting out blooms and the marigold and zinnia seedlings are up and doing well in most of the garden. Some of the taters are up and looking good. Peach trees are LOADED with peaches and some of the apple saplings have tiny apples showing up.

Will plant trays of tomatoes today. Hope to get cukes, squash, beans, pumpkins and watermelon planted this evening. Trying to get things in the ground before the annual trout fishing trip. :cool:

YOUR MOTHER! :thumbsup

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
:D That was just the start of her day. She mowed with the push mower and the riding mower(it was acting up, so she had to keep replacing the belt on it throughout her mowing session), then ran the weedeater on a few hillsides, picked up branches out of the yard, helped me put up trellises and plant seedlings and all kinds of other things I couldn't keep track of...she works circles around me. :th

Said her shoulders were a little stiff this morning...seemed surprised about that. ;)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
:D That was just the start of her day. She mowed with the push mower and the riding mower(it was acting up, so she had to keep replacing the belt on it throughout her mowing session), then ran the weedeater on a few hillsides, picked up branches out of the yard, helped me put up trellises and plant seedlings and all kinds of other things I couldn't keep track of...she works circles around me. :th

Said her shoulders were a little stiff this morning...seemed surprised about that. ;)

Haha! I love your mom! Give her a big hug from an Idaho girl and tell I want to be her when I grow up. :) :hugs

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Her body is great but her mind is starting to get a little slippery, so I get to help her in that way and keep a watch over her as she lives the life she likes out here. I also assist her in managing Dad's care and her own medical care, so I'm a little useful now and again, but mostly she's doing great for her age.

Latest posts