What Did You Do In The Garden?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday we got wooden posts cemented in on the garden fence where I had rebelled at digging more post holes last year and instead pounded t-posts in.
Now it looks better and doesn't remind me of my laziness. :p

Between yesterday and today I got most of the perennial beds weeded and cleaned up.
Somehow I had passed over a bunch of dandelions yesterday, but they didn't escape me today! Take that you little sneaks!

I also got all the plants in my plant ghetto in the ground. Sometimes I amaze myself...this wasn't planned, I walked by all those sad derelict pots and noticed plants pushing up. Well I'll be! They live!

So I gathered them up and found homes for them, and I hope that everywhere I stuck them they won't be overwhelmed by the mature perennials that are just now emerging. I have the worst time remembering that a hosta clump that is a foot across when it's dormant will be 3 or 4 feet when it leafs out.

So I planted 4 clematis, (just infants) a couple hostas, some cranesbill,
(fuschia! @ninnymary ), nepeta, and several bleeding hearts. One looks like a yellow foliaged one, or else it needs some serious fertilizer. o_O

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Her body is great but her mind is starting to get a little slippery, so I get to help her in that way and keep a watch over her as she lives the life she likes out here. I also assist her in managing Dad's care and her own medical care, so I'm a little useful now and again, but mostly she's doing great for her age.

You're very useful and I'm sure she appreciates you. Actually I wish I could have done half of what you do for your mom for my own when she was living. I think you both are very blessed to have each other.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
You're very useful and I'm sure she appreciates you. Actually I wish I could have done half of what you do for your mom for my own when she was living. I think you both are very blessed to have each other.

We are blessed indeed! We talk about that every day, how much God has blessed us in our lives....we marvel over that constantly, because it seems we are living in a lovely dream right now. Sweet little grandgirls, this good place to work on, this good house, our companionship for one another and all of God's provision.....well..it's just like opening the best present ever, every single day! :love It's a good, good life.

Yesterday we got wooden posts cemented in on the garden fence where I had rebelled at digging more post holes last year and instead pounded t-posts in.
Now it looks better and doesn't remind me of my laziness.

:D I know JUST what you mean! I put up a shoddy arbor over my son's garden gate last year and hated looking at that thing all year, so this year we tore that rickety thing down and cemented in posts for a real arbor/gate.

Feels good to get work done and weeds on the run, doesn't it? :celebrate

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are blessed indeed! We talk about that every day, how much God has blessed us in our lives....we marvel over that constantly, because it seems we are living in a lovely dream right now. Sweet little grandgirls, this good place to work on, this good house, our companionship for one another and all of God's provision.....well..it's just like opening the best present ever, every single day! :love It's a good, good life.

This made me so happy to read! :hugs

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I checked and the roses that I moved yesterday still look great! NO wilting. :hu

I'll keep checking them. I transplanted all of the 16 or 20--didn't count them all--black iris from the patch with poison ivy. Here they are after a day, but before I transplanted them (picture of that later this week).

I fluffed up the soil around the south side of the cistern and heavily spread Preen before planting them. I also planted 50 more onion sets. Still have 100 to go, but leaving them out in the rain helped them to grown some roots, so that's a good thing! One of my windows that I had leaned against one of the two horse trough planters got caught by the wind and shattered. :barnie Actually, it wasn't that bad. It all broke on top of a plastic sheet and I cleaned it all up. Those empty 50 pound grain bags are excellent for cleaning up glass bc the shards don't stick through, so I got it all bagged up and thrown away.
I weeded around my 31 spouted potatoes, the ones that had been growing in my potato bin that I planted. I also have a bag of spouted onions which will go in this week on the east side of the cistern. Hoping that they will go to seed for me.
We have had probably 4 inches of rain in the last few days, but we didn't have the severe flooding that they had further south, so I am thankful. Horses have been in the stalls at night to give them a dry place to lay down. Horses like to lay down for about an hour every night in a safe place, and they have about 15 minutes of prone, deep sleep. Sometimes they will lay down in the morning. It freaks you out the first time that you see it and you are sure that you have a dead horse. In the summer my 3 lay down in the pasture for that. They are giving me the stink eye bc I won't let them out on their north or south pastures, but my Vet reminded me that I should still wait until late May to let them out full time.
Next week...I ATTACK THE BURDOCK With VEGETATION KILLER!!!! BWA, HA HA!!!!!:thumbsup

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, that's strange! My mirror image capital L disappeared in my post above. I wonder how I saw it as I wrote the response. Today, I don't see it!

Well, the garden where I am standing with the camera is L shaped but I would have to be standing, facing the opposite direction by that tree for it to actually appear as an L.

Seeds and roots/tubers/bulbs so far, @journey11 . I've carried out a flat of kale twice but brought it back home. It's still toughing it out with its sisters in the backyard.

Steve
edited to put in Journey's full username :) and to note that my "L" appears in the PC monitor but not in the tablet. could have used a bold "7" ~ i guess

Last edited:

Latest posts