What Did You Do In The Garden?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I almost bought 6 bell peppers today because they looked really good. The peppers we started from seed are not looking as good as usual. Hope they take off.
Mine r doing the same thing. In garden, they just sit there. Ones I bought are doing same thing and they looked excellent.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
image.jpeg I got the rest of the corn in this weekend, so I'm pretty much done planting. I've had a couple sweet potatoes in a pot of moist sand, hoping to get slips. I dug one up and found it has some roots, but no sign of a sprout anywhere. Should I keep waiting and it will eventually grow?

I love seeing your garden map @journey11 . We make the basically the same map every year with 4 quadrants, and rotate the sections clockwise each year. The melon/corn and tomato/pepper sections are hoop houses that DH somehow manages to drag around.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Such variety, @buckabucka !

I don't know the answer on the sweet potatoes other than to say that they don't do well in my garden ... probably would be okay if I planted them in the hoophouse and left that structure up until real, summer weather.

Tomatoes: you will have to tell us how Cosmonaut (Volkov?) does right beside San Diego :). I'm influenced by names but also realize that varieties have different responses to environments. Maybe my garden environment would be appropriate for both ..!

@Chickie'sMomaInNH , @bobm once chided me for not getting more fertilizer on the peppers, midseason. I wonder if my usual habit of putting fertilizer down early when they just do not make any growth is futile. Later, I have time to lament how small the pepper plants are and limited the production. Maybe they just need N, mid-season.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@buckabucka - You might keep trying. I planted my sweet potatoes very late in June last year and still got a bunch of huge ones! They won't set tubers until the ground is hot enough anyway, so no hurry in my opinion. Something I am wondering is if they make slips quicker in the dark. I had a bunch of long ones when I had them stored in the basement. They seemed to take longer to grow after I moved them to the sun room. I have some in a pot of sterile coconut fiber medium and some in a pot of potting soil. They are all about the same size, but the ones in potting soil are much greener. I'm going to go ahead and pinch them and put them in water to root. We've gotten to where we can't have enough sweet potatoes, so I'll plant all I can get.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We're having a bit of a heatwave here, 90's today, and 80's the next two, so I suppose that might push the sweet potato into action.

@digitS' , I always plant my tomatoes in rows by type (paste, large, and cherry) and try to put them in alphabetically by variety. We have our first tomato flower today! It is on the speckled Roman.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I did fairly well at timing the start and plant out dates -- I didn't have a single tomato flower (or fruit o_O) to remove, when they were transplanted out.

Yesterday evening, I sprayed. The wind died away at just the right time. The garden extension has weeds at both ends. A very old, large irrigation pipe that has sat all the time I have been around (10+ years) without use against the neighbor's fence. Got the weeds around it sprayed.

The earwigs are already in some of the dahlias which are just barely above ground. I was selective and just spayed those with damage. The cabbage have some and turnips have a great deal of damage from flea beetles. Got those sprayed with Spinosad.

Here at home, there is that same earwig problem in a few of the dahlias. Also, the climbing rose is struggling with mildew. Got some sulphur sprayed on it.

Steve

Latest posts