What Did You Do In The Garden?

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@digitS' I have Cherokee heritage too. I usually grow Arkansas Travelers because they still set blooms when our 90+ weather hits which is just about now. At least our nights are still reasonably cool. I did get them planted and I have high hopes for them. I planted my tomatoes in tires this year so we'll see how that turns out.

When I was watering last night I noticed the potatoes I planted a few days ago are up and the ones I planted a few weeks ago are starting to bloom. The few little sweet potato starts are starting to run. I noticed my crookneck squash is coming up. Everyone around here is already starting to get produce but I had to wait until I got a fence up. Better late than never. I'm trying to tuck plants/seeds everywhere to make up for it being so small.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' I have Cherokee heritage too. I usually grow Arkansas Travelers because they still set blooms when our 90+ weather hits which is just about now. At least our nights are still reasonably cool. I did get them planted and I have high hopes for them. I planted my tomatoes in tires this year so we'll see how that turns out.

When I was watering last night I noticed the potatoes I planted a few days ago are up and the ones I planted a few weeks ago are starting to bloom. The few little sweet potato starts are starting to run. I noticed my crookneck squash is coming up. Everyone around here is already starting to get produce but I had to wait until I got a fence up. Better late than never. I'm trying to tuck plants/seeds everywhere to make up for it being so small.

How's the kids' garden doing? :pop

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
all my beans, cucumbers and squash showing life I have only planted two tomatoes as son does not eat them but for salsa :hu

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've heard that the scapes are really good. I use to have and old fashioned perennial type garlic that you would just go out and pick it when you needed it. No replanting. I would usually just grab a couple of stems and diced and use. One of my neighbors came over one day when we were gone and dug it all up. I keep looking for some more but you usually have to find an old home place to get it. Where it use to be common people now just plant regular garlic. Once planted you always had it, it was so convenient and no work at all.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
The put their foot down and decided not to do it. I did actually get them to help me put up a fence around mine. Oh well, maybe next year. :barnie

Awwww...that's a shame. My kids would have been the same way, I'm afraid. They've grown up around it for so long that it doesn't hold any intrigue for them...and they are boys, which I think makes a difference. If it isn't about shooting something, tearing up something, or doing something dangerous, they weren't very interested. :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted the other half of the gladiolas. The first bunch went in about a month ago.

This breaks up the bloom season nicely. Of course, some corms had sprouts of about 4". I hope none were bruised during the process.

Have some pea vines for dinner and some beets! The beets surprise me. The seed was old and didn't germinate well but what came up toughed it through not only the cool spring weather but a couple of days in the 90's! They have grown well but setting out transplants worked well in 2016. I should have done that again. At the very least, I should have bought new seed.

BTW - do you know what the little tendrils of pea vines taste like? Peas! We will have snow peas, next week ;).

Steve

Latest posts