What Did You Do In The Garden?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't felt I was doing enough to warrent posting here, but finally I can say I have some of my veggie garden planted.

First, I cleaned out a bed for DIL to plant. Then I cleaned out another also for DIL. Sigh! Lots of work since last year's garden was a bust and nothing was done in the fall to prep for this year.

Still, slowly and steadily I kept ploughing away. I got one bed cleaned out for myself. . . then another. Both are planted. Yesterday I cleaned out another bed that was finished and raked out this morning. Not sure what I will be putting in it. I haven't planted any spuds, but there are other veggies that are calling for the space.

Meanwhile, life goes on. I've nearly gotten the yard in suitable shape. Flowers adorn the house eaves and hang in the butterfly garden. I finally got all the mowing done ... just today I cleared the mini jungle along the bordering circus fence. I will need to have some stumps dug out in order the be able to keep it clean with just mowing but it looks so much better now that I got that area cleared.

Despite the high temperatures I've been able to keep working. Baby steps -- I don't get a lot done, but I keep at it and things are looking so much better for my efforts.

Son has been playing with the JDeere. He's taken out some trees, overgrown bush rows, and dug some dirt off between the garden and the garden shed that should direct the water flow a bit better. He's also planning to run water underground to the pond, the garden, and the garden shed for me. We're going shopping this week to get some of the materials for burying water and electricity. Happy, happy, happy me.

I finally feel a bit like a gardener again.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
On a less happy note, Son left the garden gate open after his landscaping workand of course the chickens found entry to the strawberries. Drats! I was so carefully avoiding munching on them so there'd be a decent number for dessert. Nary a reddish berry to be seen and the bed was definitely looking bedraggled.

Fortunately, except for scratching out and moving some newly planted peas, beets, and beans, no real damage was done to the plantings. Knowing how a couple of hungry chickes can decimate a cabbage plant, I consider myself lucky it wasn't worse.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I watered last night. Low and behold I have little green tomatoes. They are on the plant that just came up by my potatoes. I do have blooms on my Arkansas Travelers and it looks like my pepper plants may be getting ready to bloom. I also noticed a couple of cucumber (straight eight) plants coming up. My squash isn't doing anything which is disappointing. I may have to replant.

I bought a couple of Cherokee Purple tomato plants from the feed store. I was buying layer crumbles and couldn't resist. I keep hearing such good things about them. Kentucky Wonders are a good foot high but just a few of the other beans. I'm thinking it may not be a good spot for beans since I've planted that place twice now. I put in a few cucumber seed so maybe if the beans don't work cukes will.

It's so hot and humid here now. I'm hoping when the sun starts to go down I can go out and plant the Cherokees.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
grrr. was hoping we would get some rain tonight but the forecast changed & now nothing but some clouds as they roll on by my area. been watching the radar since i got home so decided i will water everything just in case we don't get a drop. nothing too deep but just enough to keep things from looking wilted. noticed the radishes are sprouting. potatoes & beans are pushing up & the raspberries have finished flowering. both red, yellow & black raspberries should be ready for me starting 1st week in July & continue all month long with harvest!

finally found a use for the Japanese Knotweed. the chickens are being trained to enjoy the leaves. now i just pluck the stuff & throw it to them & they attack it gleefully! :woot

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm hoping when the sun starts to go down I can go out and plant the Cherokees.
As a person with Cherokee heritage, I worry about things like that ...

Really! I don't grow Cherokee Purple because I worry that if it doesn't do well, I would be depressed and saddened from the experience.

To avoid this, I grow Gary O Sena, a stabilized cross between Cherokee Purple and Brandywine. It's a little earlier than even an early variety of Brandywine like the OTV. It does well and is quite a treat for me :D.

digitS'

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Decided not to plant as much as I usually do, but still ended up with a big garden this year. Raised beds still need some work, then a few odds and ends will go in there. But most everything got planted yesterday and today. Just the last couple rows at the bottom to go. Bush beans, flowers, etc.

View attachment 20196

The big circle in the middle is a giant bean tent for the girls to play in. They were really big help this year, both of them; planted all the corn, sunflowers, cukes and glads themselves! :)

Please post a pic of that bean tent when it's all grown? I'm doing a little sunflower house for the grandgirls in their little garden and hope to add some beans to that when the sunflowers are up big enough to be a trellis for them. I've never done anything like that and don't know how it will turn out but would sure love to see yours!

It looks like you will have a very lovely garden when it's all growing!

Planted yellow squash in son's tiny BTE and put up a trellis for their honeysuckle. Came home and planted a flat of sweet Candy onions in the garden and used my wonder hoe to mop up the weedlings that the rain brought up.

Hope to plant tomatoes tomorrow and spread some slug bait in my tunnel.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I watered last night. Low and behold I have little green tomatoes. They are on the plant that just came up by my potatoes. I do have blooms on my Arkansas Travelers and it looks like my pepper plants may be getting ready to bloom. I also noticed a couple of cucumber (straight eight) plants coming up. My squash isn't doing anything which is disappointing. I may have to replant.

I bought a couple of Cherokee Purple tomato plants from the feed store. I was buying layer crumbles and couldn't resist. I keep hearing such good things about them. Kentucky Wonders are a good foot high but just a few of the other beans. I'm thinking it may not be a good spot for beans since I've planted that place twice now. I put in a few cucumber seed so maybe if the beans don't work cukes will.

It's so hot and humid here now. I'm hoping when the sun starts to go down I can go out and plant the Cherokees.

I grew Cherokee Purple and I liked them. I gave a couple of plants to a friend and they said they were the best tomatoes they had that year.

Latest posts