What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Several years ago, the neighbor had a leaky irrigation valve. When the valve was open, the mainline was tight with pressure and none of the pipe fittings leaked much.

That's still true but there is a low place along the mainline and when the pressure drops, one long section of pipes drains there. This amounts to nothing now - a puddle that disappears in about an hour. When that valve leaked there was a 3' puddle in the neighbor's lawn constantly thru irrigation season.

I volunteered to route it into my garden. By digging a little 3' x 5' x 8" hole and moving the puddled water thru a pvc pipe, I had a place to grow watercress! It worked really great! ... until the valve was replaced.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I fertilized my meyer lemon, lime, avocado, and tangerine trees. Should have been done late January/February before onset of blooms. My lime already had lots of bloom but my lemon only had a few. Next feeding is end of May and the fertilizer will help blooms set so we shall see how they do.

Planted my 2 zucchini plants. Hope they do well this year. Last year I couldn't grow zucchini for the life of me. I mean who can't grow zucchini? Plants kept getting dug up and eaten. I meant to cover them last night with a bucket or something but I forgot. So hoping they are fine when I check this morning.

Anxious to get my peppers into the ground. I have already top pruned them to encourage more branching and thus bigger harvest. They sit out on my deck so they're really no more work.

Seed started a couple kale plants and Little Gem lettuce. I have already put my grow lights away so once they sprout they will go out on the deck. Starts have to be tough to survive with me! haha

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
water projects are so much fun! :) @Beekissed i hope that spring isn't from a leaking pipe, well or septic field! around here our ground water level can be very high for most of the late winter and early spring and like you i've often thought of putting in a shallow well to draw water from for the gardens instead of using the well pump, but as of yet that has not happened. too many other fish to fry. i'm sure you know what that is like... :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted my 2 zucchini plants. Hope they do well this year. Last year I couldn't grow zucchini for the life of me. I mean who can't grow zucchini?

Mary
Hey, keep the insults to yourself. I get zucchini to point of bearing, then here comes the bugs and kill them. Ha ha

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
water projects are so much fun! :) @Beekissed i hope that spring isn't from a leaking pipe, well or septic field! around here our ground water level can be very high for most of the late winter and early spring and like you i've often thought of putting in a shallow well to draw water from for the gardens instead of using the well pump, but as of yet that has not happened. too many other fish to fry. i'm sure you know what that is like... :)

:gig You don't live out in the sticks, do you? :D Behind us are thousands of acres of uninhabited wilderness, no neighbors for 1/4 mi. on either side or out front and our water lines and septic field are not anywhere NEAR our garden.....we aren't so cramped here we have to locate a garden near such things.

Nope....just a lot of underground springs on this ridge and like pretty much a lot of WV. Our well is from an underground spring that runs between two beds of flint rock, produces 80 gal. an hour.

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, keep the insults to yourself. I get zucchini to point of bearing, then here comes the bugs and kill them. Ha ha
Last year was weird cause I replanted zucchini starts 2-3 times and each time something pulled and ate part of it. The last planting start just sat there and didn't do anything but slowly died. First time I've never been able to not grow it.

Mary

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:gig You don't live out in the sticks, do you? :D Behind us are thousands of miles of uninhabited wilderness, no neighbors for 1/4 mi. on either side or out front and our water lines and septic field are not anywhere NEAR our garden.....we aren't so cramped here we have to locate a garden near such things.

Nope....just a lot of underground springs on this ridge and like pretty much a lot of WV. Our well is from an underground spring that runs between two beds of flint rock, produces 80 gal. an hour.

We have a couple of springs on our place. The one out in the pasture fills up our 20' deep pound. We also have one that starts & runs down the ditch line next to the road. It never runs dry.

Yesterday was a nice day here in East Texas. I spent the morning out in the gardening getting some plants into the ground. Tomatoes, peppers & eggplants. Today I put in some marigolds and potted up some parsley into bigger pots. I had planned on getting a bit more done, but the cool front showed up with the rain and canceled those plans.

Latest posts