What Did You Do In The Garden?

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We dont have flea beetles up here but i have used it on spider mites to good effect. It would be simple enough to make up a batch and try it, you may be everyones heroine!

it’s going to be more of a deterrent than an actual insecticide, which works for me!

whats more troublesome, flea beetles or aphids? I’ve sprayed Aphids with both the FPE and a lacto solution and sat down to watch what happened next. In both cases they left within a couple minutes, left as in fell off the plant. Were they dead or just jumping ship? I didn’t crawl around in the grass looking for them, they were gone and didn’t return so i was pleased.

i’m just getting to know the urine but it’s described as an actual insecticide. It works very well as a foliar feeding agent, i can imagine a stronger Solution would wreak havoc on bugs.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
And now all my jalapenos and scotch bonnets are gone :(
I just went on a walkabout and all the venturesome cucumbers outside the garden fence have been clipped. As well as some nearby lilies. I do believe this calls for the motion activated sprinklers. There may be a deer suit laying out there when they jump out of their skin.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just went on a walkabout and all the venturesome cucumbers outside the garden fence have been clipped. As well as some nearby lilies. I do believe this calls for the motion activated sprinklers. There may be a deer suit laying out there when they jump out of their skin.
I was thinking about those too.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Took down the plastic film from the hoop house. Carried the hoops away to storage, pulled up the rebar stakes - now there is only the door and window to pull off the frames. I don't take the frames down - supposedly, they are well secured into the ground. I say supposedly but with the winds of time pushing against 20' of film, the window frame especially leans inward.

The peppers all went in the big veggie garden and not in those 2 beds so there was Asian greens/Asian greens/Asian ... oh, some kale ;). Most of that has been pulled beginning weeks ago - with some replanting and more of that sort of thing, today. We will see how long any Asian greens can tolerate the outdoor conditions in June & July, 2021.

There is some amaranth growing already. Maybe, I will think of something else for hot weather. Maybe try transplanting some chard back from the veggie garden. I wonder how that might work ... the plants are doing better than most anything else, out there. Since Verde da Taglio chard is not becoming widely enough available for me to order easily, I'm trying a different one from Osborne Seed. It is called Charsano and, admittedly, the Italian name appealed to me. Osborne has a picture of it as a "baby green" rather than more mature. I'm hoping that it doesn't have heavy stems but no other retail source carries it and has a picture. The other day, I found it on a wholesale website from a Dutch company. They show a mature plant - with heavy stems!!! Hopefully, this is something of a generic picture but I may have errored 🥺 .... "Perpetual Spinach" is also a chard but after a couple of tries, including in 2020, I have decided that it just isn't gonna grow well for me.

Steve

Latest posts