What Did You Do In The Garden?

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What did i do in the garden today? Not much really, picked some stuff in the greenhouse but later this afternoon we’ve got the kids / g. Kids coming over for lunch. My Son and family are moving to Washington in a week or so, so this is a last horah!
Back to the garden part, as a gardener we have a network of local kindred spirits whom we converse with regularly and im sure you’ve noticed how things work out between your local gardening associates. Case in point, last week i delivered 5 gallons of Rabbit poop to a lady at church so this week while returning my bucket she gave me a couple dozen eggs and a qt of her honey! I came out on that deal😳
Some of those eggs and honey found they’re way into the ice cream thats out there churning away right bow. Thanks to a fellow gardener!
I’m in awe when i come on here and look at @GrandmaDeKorte and @heirloomgal’s gardens. Where do you get the energy?
i been telling people only my bones are old, i’m still a punk on the inside but truthfully, there’s only so much of me and i love the garden game, always will. none the less, keep blessing us with the inspiration!🤓
Gotta go get going on the Taco’s!

Attachments

• E1D09E2E-6F0D-4443-99A4-CA0FA986F9FD.jpeg
    E1D09E2E-6F0D-4443-99A4-CA0FA986F9FD.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 1DD7C40C-0F76-46E0-99E0-6C4DECCEEBD7.jpeg
    1DD7C40C-0F76-46E0-99E0-6C4DECCEEBD7.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 01C2B361-77EB-4A49-BF2B-39C20C97BA86.jpeg
    01C2B361-77EB-4A49-BF2B-39C20C97BA86.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 111

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What did i do in the garden today? Not much really, picked some stuff in the greenhouse but later this afternoon we’ve got the kids / g. Kids coming over for lunch. My Son and family are moving to Washington in a week or so, so this is a last horah!
Back to the garden part, as a gardener we have a network of local kindred spirits whom we converse with regularly and im sure you’ve noticed how things work out between your local gardening associates. Case in point, last week i delivered 5 gallons of Rabbit poop to a lady at church so this week while returning my bucket she gave me a couple dozen eggs and a qt of her honey! I came out on that deal😳
Some of those eggs and honey found they’re way into the ice cream thats out there churning away right bow. Thanks to a fellow gardener!
I’m in awe when i come on here and look at @GrandmaDeKorte and @heirloomgal’s gardens. Where do you get the energy?
i been telling people only my bones are old, i’m still a punk on the inside but truthfully, there’s only so much of me and i love the garden game, always will. none the less, keep blessing us with the inspiration!🤓
Gotta go get going on the Taco’s!
@Alasgun I think I'd love to eat at your house! Home made ice ream :love

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
persistence, chipping away at something even a few minutes or hours at a time can make a lot of progress. i'm not able boidied a fair amount of the time (past injuries can mix themselves up with recent issues) but i don't give up - if it takes me a few months/years to do a large project then that's what gets done.

right now though i'm going to have to remind myself to call the roofing people and ask them if they've ordered the vents we need to replace the existing ones. it's time to push and rattle a few cages a bit as much as i hate doing it.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Put up the 2nd row of tomato fencing last week. I now have 16 beefsteak tomatoes in the ground. I removed the tarps behind the firepit, pulled/mowed down any existing weeds, used 2d4 on the borders, and laid down 6 new tarps to cover everything. I have been collecting curly dock and other weeds with seeds to dry them out before burning on the westmost part of the "tarp pond." Pretty much burned up my wood supply, but there will be sawing of more supplies soon. Did the same on the weedfest on the east side of the barn, right below the loft door, where hay accumulates from filling the loft and dropping bales down. All weeded, heavily poisoned, and covered with an assortment of split black plastic, old plastic tablecloth and a clear shower curtain.
I fixed the easement area on the east side of the northmost point of my north pasture fencing, streetside, just south of my neighbor's property. There is a power pole there and it had become quite the weedfest. I didn't have enough length of extension cords, so I drove out with my riding mower, tow wagon attached and filled with my oldest push power, a handsaw, and my poison sprayer. I sawed down burdock and curly dock, thoroughly mowed the area back, then soaked it with 2d4. I Will be checking this spot to make that nothing grows back, but now I can drive past it and admire it.
I WILL take pictures soon and add them to my thread.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
ALWAYS something to do. Btw, @GrandmaDeKorte , THANK YOU for posting your location! WE have had a lot of newcomers who aren't doing this. and I won't waste time answering questions from people, if I don't have any idea where they live. YOUR "location" is well put, generic, but zone defined. :hugs

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
3rd Beefsteak fence is in, now 24 Beefsteak tomatoes are planted. Tilled around the cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and collard greens, north and south of this part of the big bed. Planted and caged 2 jalepano peppers (ONLY 2, bc I planted too many for my uses in 2020,) and planted and caged 4 Orange Sweet Bell Peppers W/tags. I up potted 3 that were too small to be planted, put the pots between existing beefsteak tomatoes, so that I can keep them well watered.
DH Finally got the tractor out and we straighted out the 2 old fenceposts with the grape vines that he knocked over 2 years ago! :lol:
I even got one out of the ground.
Looks like I will have a total of five 12 ft long fences for my beefsteak tomatoes. Should have 40 Beefsteak tomatoes in the ground by the end of June. I have up potted many of them that I grew from seed, but are too skinny/little to make it outside.
Gotta focus on the Romas, next.
There WILL be photos on my thread soon.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Transplanted garden huckleberry died.
Mine are still hanging on, but flea beetles are stunting them.

A (relatively) cool day finally, and DD showed up to help for most of the day. :hugsI drove in T-posts for trellises in the home gardens, while DW & DD tied the strings. Then after a short break, we all met at the rural garden for weeding. I brought the small tiller to weed the perimeter & turn over the areas where squash & gherkins will run, while DW & DD used the stirrup hoes between & around plants. We stopped early (about 7:00 PM) to get a real supper for a change... DW & I have been working almost to sunset for the last week or so.

The new tiller & all the help from DD have really made a big difference; the rural garden is now about 90% weeded! At this point last year, we weren't even done planting yet. I need to start driving poles for trellises there, and look for 20-25 bales of hay to begin mulching.

Latest posts