What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the middle of your state, Indianapolis is 8° of latitude south of here, @seedcorn .

I could move straight over to the Pacific, let's say to Neah Bay with its zone 9 winter. But, the summer probably wouldn't allow me to grow anything but kale !

This has been quite a different start to the growing season, perhaps, everywhere in North America. We have lots of daylight here. And, way too much heat, way above average.

My broccoli must be stressed beyond reason. And maybe, beyond hope. (Meanwhile, the Siberian kale is in good shape.)

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we did get the lawn mowed and the mower cleaned up just in time. i thought that the storms were going north of us and that we weren't going to get rained on after all, but now the rains are here. heavy rains for a few minutes. straight down. yes, this is a downpour. cats and dogs, water wings and the whole rest of the enchilada...

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
With heavy rain expected, DW & I drove out to the rural garden early. While DW weeded around the gherkins (one of the last unweeded areas) I checked the garlic. Although not quite at the optimal harvest point, the soil at root level was muddy & there were signs that the wrappers were beginning to decay, so I harvested 5 of the remaining 7 varieties. I had hoped to let them dry for awhile so more of the dirt could be removed from the roots; but with thunder increasing, we had to pack up quickly. The rain started just as I got the last garlic loaded.

There was a brief dry spell between storms, so I was able to move the garlic onto the patio to dry. We got a lot of rain (almost 5" at the rural garden) I hope the remaining 2 garlic varieties don't rot. They are two of the largest. :fl

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
With heavy rain expected, DW & I drove out to the rural garden early. While DW weeded around the gherkins (one of the last unweeded areas) I checked the garlic. Although not quite at the optimal harvest point, the soil at root level was muddy & there were signs that the wrappers were beginning to decay, so I harvested 5 of the remaining 7 varieties. I had hoped to let them dry for awhile so more of the dirt could be removed from the roots; but with thunder increasing, we had to pack up quickly. The rain started just as I got the last garlic loaded.

There was a brief dry spell between storms, so I was able to move the garlic onto the patio to dry. We got a lot of rain (almost 5" at the rural garden) I hope the remaining 2 garlic varieties don't rot. They are two of the largest. :fl

i know it's not the best thing to do, but i've actually had to hose garlic off after lifting it before drying it.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i know it's not the best thing to do, but i've actually had to hose garlic off after lifting it before drying it.
I did that this year and mine still dried pretty well. Admittedly I set mine up in front of a fan for a good part of the drying time though so I’m sure that helped.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
The garlic harvested so far looks OK, I won't need to clean them off until I break open the bulbs just before harvest. I might have to hose off the two varieties still in the garden though, after harvest... I might be literally pulling them out of the mud.

I think the recommendations against washing garlic are about dirty water running down the stem, getting trapped just above the bulb, and causing rot. If I do wash garlic, I'll do so with the roots facing up, so that all of the dirty water runs off.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Corn doing A-okay, I think. This might be a good strong B:

001423C3-BEED-4E36-82C5-98C9AE351221.jpeg

I think that I’m standing right beside one of @ninnymary ’s Petit Gris de Rennes melons. It seems that it went into the middle of this bed. I won’t be venturing into those vines to find the plant marker ;). Petit Gris de Rennes seemed to also be somewhat of a petit vine. The other 2 melon varieties are doing just fine, as well! Really pleased how happy the melons are with this weather :).

These winter squash vines also seem happy, Buttercup and Cha Ca Kabocha. Looks like another good winter squash year:

6FF362CF-5CB4-4BFB-8A86-631D8D4A088C.jpeg

And no, I’m not venturing into those to either learn which is which or to pull that pigweed! Maybe, I can get some of that purslane and quake grass around the perimeter ;).

Pulled weeds in the zucchini and celery root for over an hour. By then, decided that the neighbors would tolerate the distant sound of the tiller so I beat up some purslane in a few paths 💪 .

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got all my flowers planted that I started from seed. Pulling weeds. The real work is coming soon. The blackberries are starting to turn and the kale and collards need to come in, bringing in peppers and now flowers on the squash and cucumbers and the beans are all climbing. The raspberries did not do good and I think it is the heat.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Ya mean, what did I do in DD's garden today!
DD just won a monster (old) elder abuse/animal abuse/neglect case last week, so her boss gave her this Friday off. Plan was to saw down saplings, pull weeds, mow weeds and plant impatiens and oregano.
It was POURING most of the morning. I dug up the mass of oregano that had jumped the bed and put it in a big muck bucket. Packed up my oldest push mower, a shovel and change of clothes.
We had to sit and wait while it poured for 30 minutes, then we both stretched and bit the bullet.
We both hand pulled a bunch of weeds growing around the 4 ft diameter tree stump, used shovels when necessary. Actually a wet bed weeds pretty easily. I made my way to perrenials I had planted there last year, mowed there and across from the asparagus (which DD weeded, fortunately few weeds there,) and we both planted the mass of oregano next to the now visible ferns. We'll go back to this on Sunday. Hair cuts tomorrow.
I REALLY need some Advil...