With heavy rain expected, DW & I drove out to the rural garden early. While DW weeded around the gherkins (one of the last unweeded areas) I checked the garlic. Although not quite at the optimal harvest point, the soil at root level was muddy & there were signs that the wrappers were beginning to decay, so I harvested 5 of the remaining 7 varieties. I had hoped to let them dry for awhile so more of the dirt could be removed from the roots; but with thunder increasing, we had to pack up quickly. The rain started just as I got the last garlic loaded.
There was a brief dry spell between storms, so I was able to move the garlic onto the patio to dry. We got a lot of rain (almost 5" at the rural garden) I hope the remaining 2 garlic varieties don't rot. They are two of the largest.
I did that this year and mine still dried pretty well. Admittedly I set mine up in front of a fan for a good part of the drying time though so I’m sure that helped.i know it's not the best thing to do, but i've actually had to hose garlic off after lifting it before drying it.
The garlic harvested so far looks OK, I won't need to clean them off until I break open the bulbs just before harvest. I might have to hose off the two varieties still in the garden though, after harvest... I might be literally pulling them out of the mud.i know it's not the best thing to do, but i've actually had to hose garlic off after lifting it before drying it.