What Did You Do In The Garden?

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I put out compost and overseeded some spots. I made a new compost pile. I burned some debris.
PXL_20211024_135722103_resize_60.jpg
PXL_20211024_143705932_resize_61.jpg

I used leaf mould,
PXL_20211024_153852360_resize_91.jpg

and finally broke open a really old pile of sticks for some ramial compost,
PXL_20211024_135739458_resize_86.jpg

The little roller cleans it pretty well.
PXL_20211024_135803541_resize_81.jpg
PXL_20211024_164437091_resize_25.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i was able to get outside for a change today and drained all the hoses and got them ready so they could be stowed away (when we're ready to put them in the spot where they hide for the winter) and then did some work on the garden i'm putting up. made enough progress and called it enough. still very muddy out there without rains the past few days so at least there weren't standing puddles where i was at. rains forecast tonight (it's already sprinkled once) and for the next few days or so then we're back to clear of rains in the forecast again so i actually do have a chance of actually getting this garden done next week. weather looks nice enough and not too cold overnight.

somehow i still have to remember to get some garlic planted. i get waylaid too often with side-projects lately. i need a note stapled to my forehead. :)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW & I finished building & filling the raised bed for the garlic, and thankfully the rain held off long enough for us to finish planting. The bed is 32' X 3', and our planting pattern allows 155 cloves. All were the same 9 varieties planted last year:

Carpati (artichoke)
Dubna Standard (MPS, marbled purple stripe)
Estonian Red (MPS)
Georgian Fire (porcelain)
German White (porcelain)
Krasnodar Red (MPS)
Ron's Single Center (artichoke)
Special Idaho (rocambole)
Vic's (rocambole)

Georgian Fire turned out to be the "mystery volunteer" found growing in one of DW's flower gardens, which was so vigorous even after years of neglect that we divided the numerous cloves & planted it last year. We gave some to DD#1 last year too, and it did so well that she wants to keep growing it.

I also had time before the rain to haul 2 trailer loads of soil from DD#2, to begin raising up next year's garden extension. Last year she needed a little topsoil to fill some low spots in her yard, and asked our truck-driving neighbor if he could bring her some. He did... and between DD & my 5 trailer loads, we are about halfway through the pile. :lol: It looks like we have another dry spell in the forecast, I might get another load or two hauled before we cover the pile for the winter.

While I was hauling dirt, DW pulled down all of the trellises on our one remaining garden. As soon as the soil is dry enough, I'll pull the poles, and turn everything under.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
The last gherkin & cucumber seeds finished their fermentation; they have now been cleaned, and are drying. The only seeds left to process now are the eggplant, which I'll get around to in a day or so.

We had a some tomatillos & a few green "Beaver Dam" peppers which we rescued from the rural garden before turning everything under - today we turned them into salsa verde.

DW loves hand-shelling beans while watching TV, and is suffering from withdrawal; so we started shelling this year's "Painted Mountain" corn. It's really fun to shell out so many different colors. We're about halfway done, and should finish tomorrow.
20211030_225007.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW loves hand-shelling beans while watching TV, and is suffering from withdrawal;

i'm going to be feeling that way soon. where's my precious?

so we started shelling this year's "Painted Mountain" corn. It's really fun to shell out so many different colors. We're about halfway done, and should finish tomorrow.
View attachment 44910

beautiful! :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
On an 80 mile drive, yesterday.

Took a look at the big veggie garden on the way.

The neighbor has everything moved out of the way in his garden for the tractor guy. He is still a no-show but there is still some time.

Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We re-arranged this area and used a corner for our rooster pen. Now three young cockerels are relocated here because they started to annoy hens for mating. To be honest, I don't know if the cockerels will become our first "meat birds" at the end. Hopefully not, but if they become aggressive, I don't think I will hesitate.
36567.jpg

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Started bringing in the last of the luffa ahead of the frost later this week. It’s slow going and I’ve been struggling with fatigue so I only brought about 1/3 of them in and will try to bring the rest in tomorrow. Also need to plant a bunch of garlic but I’m to tired and the garden is a mud hole. I’ll have to plant it soon though because most of it has already sprouted on the counter.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I took up the remaining peppers and a few tomatoes. I took down the garden fence to run leaves into the garden for this spring. I am still remediating since the the great compost catastrophe of 2019. I have a pile of charcoal left from burnt twigs and droppings and will till all this in with some nematode control. I will till several times before spring. Next year is THE year I just know it!

The new compost pile says hi! It is happy and active at 110f degrees.
16357752277878689654692265876381.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts