What did YOU do in your garden today :P

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nothing today. Resting from 2 days ago. Worked for 5 hours with the kids. Sounds crazy, well is crazy, loaded the truck with hay, straw, wood shavings and rabbit manure. Hauled it to the dump. We made piles in the garden last fall and they did not do compost down at all. There was some old cabbage leaves in there that looked like I just took them out of the refrigerator. We still have a lot of compost material left. We are going to put it on a new area to make a new herb garden. I moved onions and cabbage plants out to the saw horse greenhouse on the patio. I started a bunch of seeds the winter sowing way and it had bubble wrap on the lid that leaked, so they were slightly flooded. I brought them inside to dry out and most sprouted and I put those outside too. I started basil, tomatoes and peppers yesterday.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
loaded the truck with hay, straw, wood shavings and rabbit manure. Hauled it to the dump. We made piles in the garden last fall and they did not do compost down at all. .

OH!! I WISH we lived near each other!!!
I used that exact same stuff and got GREAT compost last year. I'd have loved to have taken it off your hands.
I've got a pile of grass clippings, leaves and chicken poo that hasn't done a THING this year. I think it was just too many COLD days one after the other - never could get itself going.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
OH!! I WISH we lived near each other!!!
I used that exact same stuff and got GREAT compost last year. I'd have loved to have taken it off your hands.
I've got a pile of grass clippings, leaves and chicken poo that hasn't done a THING this year. I think it was just too many COLD days one after the other - never could get itself going.

I wish you could have got it! There was just so much. I am glad we have found a use for the rest of it.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
How did I miss this thread?!?
OK, ALL WINTER I clean two stalls and a 3rd (stall/shelter, 16' x 19' for my QH, "Buster Brown," when he's not sharing it with the other 2 horses), plus I routinely strip/rebed the "chicken stall", 12' x 16'). ALL of this goes out several days a week for future garden compost and fertilizer. I cover my beds with this throughout the winter, then use it where necessary. The rest goes to horse turnout areas to smother weeds and just...break down. It does wonders where the previous owner left depressions bc it will fill in but NOT grow anything there for pretty much one year. You dump...you leave...job over.
I consider this gardening...even if nobody else does. =b
I started a celery indoors, regrowing the base of a stalk. I just transplanted it into soil, and it' 6 inches high. I bought and transplanted a tiny Valentine's Day mini rose (clearance buy) that's doing nicely. I've kept two herbs alive, grocery store buys, basil and rosemary. I also took grocery store garlic and have about 9 plants growing.
THIS WEEKEND I have early planting planned!!!!!!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I have had my first few hours of solitude in 9 months. Mom went to her church domino game for the first time since she broke her 2 vertebrae in her back. Silence. I am alone. Almost......

What did I do in my garden today? I have listened to the roar of the lawnmower and blower as the yard man has done a spring clean up of the front yard. I have worked in the front yard, helping him clean up winter's mess. I have sat inside enjoying myself, all by myself. I am reveling in my aloneness. I will go work outside tomorrow when I am looking for a way to escape the TV blasting the walls down. :)

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Today I have had my first few hours of solitude in 9 months. Mom went to her church domino game for the first time since she broke her 2 vertebrae in her back. Silence. I am alone. Almost......

What did I do in my garden today? I have listened to the roar of the lawnmower and blower as the yard man has done a spring clean up of the front yard. I have worked in the front yard, helping him clean up winter's mess. I have sat inside enjoying myself, all by myself. I am reveling in my aloneness. I will go work outside tomorrow when I am looking for a way to escape the TV blasting the walls down. :)
I totally understand this, I value my quiet alone time, and get quite testy when I have been deprived of it. Gary, my husband has an aversion to quiet, he likes noise all the time, drives me crazy.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

What is this enjoyable solitude you speak of :lol: and where can I get some?:p

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Today I took photos of the four feet of snow on the garden, cursed the below zero temperatures, and watered my onion seedlings.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Wishin' I will pack some in the empty soy sauce bottle I just washed (for putting vanilla or liqueur in) and send it to you. It was blessed alone time that I have not had a quiet moment to myself for months. I was saving it (the bottle) for myself, but will gladly share it with you. Just rub the bottle, take the top off and grab some Calgon and head to the bathtub. Lock the door. :lol: :lol:

@Kassaundra my Mom wants Fox News on all the time and even with hearing aids, she can't hear it, so it has to be loud. She has a TV in her room, but would rather have me go deaf too. Then DH comes home and commandeers the remote, flipping stations, driving me nuts, so I go to TEG and tune out the madness. ;)