What did YOU do in your garden today :P

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I dodged rain and hail storms today. I am trying to get an early start on getting rid of the touch-me-not weed (bittercress) that has made a happy home in one of my flower gardens. It's a really rotten weed that sprays seeds all over the place if it is pulled after it blooms. I read that the best way to get rid of it is to pull it before it gets a chance to bloom.
I sure understand about alone-time. We raised six kids, the only place for me to be alone was when I was pulling weeds. The kids were afraid that if they came out to bother me I'd put them to work!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know how when you fall on the stairs and learn how lucky you are?

Yeah, one person tells you how you are lucky to have fallen in the morning rather than at night so that you weren't left out there and died of exposure in the darkness. You learn that it was lucky that you have broken your arm instead of your leg because you can still get around. Another says that you are lucky to have fallen up the stairs rather than down because you may have suffered a concussion had you fallen down the stairs. A family member points out that you are lucky to have health care insurance, otherwise they would have had to just bury you in the backyard rather than call an ambulance . . .

I'm lucky to already be deaf, or nearly so. DW wants to have the teevee too loud, I can just take out the hearing aids. I prefer that, anyway. Right now, she has a cold. I was just today telling the pharmacist that, Lucky Me, her coughing at night has not caused me to lose a moment of sleep . . .

Steve
who is soaking some soil mix for the next round of tomato seed sowing, tomorrow! (Bay' can tell me that as soon as that mix is soaked, I can go soak my head, too.)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll be out of my garden for the most part this weekend. Work party weekend, and all the bosses will be here.

Nervous to the point of being sick...

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Marshall I'm sure that's a big change after your winter of near solitude! I'm sure everything will go just fine. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:ya :ya :ya
I got to dig in the dirt yesterday!!! It was almost 60 out, and I stripped down--man we gardeners are really dirty, aren't we--to my t-shirt and forked up a bed. I planted:
sugar snap peas
Little Marvel peas
60 yellow onions (onion set ones)
Dug up and replanted 30 onions from last year that were sprouting
AND
threw in some radishes to boot
I used this technique I read about where you put wire tomato cages upside down, bury an inch or two down and put a newly pruned 1" diameter (approx) limb in the middles as supports. This bed has cattle fencing attached the the metal fencing, so they have the tomato cages AND the fencing to climb.
I also threw in some sweet pea seeds, just for fun, plus I mulched lightly with 5 month old used stall pine shavings.
I KNOW that probably peas don't like either onions or radishes, but I often wonder when direct sow seed if many get eaten by birds and rabbits. They WON'T like the faint urine smell of the shavings OR the onion odor OR the radish odor.
Guess we'll see, but SPRING has come to Duck's farmette!!!!

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know what you mean, Ducks,we hit 57 today, and I was out attacking weeds. But by November, I am tired of the garden and ready to turn my sights to other things,then in January, I am looking at the pictures from the previous years' garden and getting real anxious to be back at it. This year before I do any big planting, I am doing some cleanup in the beds that really aggravated me last year. My seed order has arrived, so I'd better get that cleanup done or it'll have to wait!

Glad you got a taste of spring. It's been quite the winter for you in the Midwest.

Marshall, I am sure the bosses will be impressed! Good luck to you.