What did YOU do in your garden today :P

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, I cut the sage and have it in the dehydrator. I also picked some strawberries and mowed around the garden shed where it's tough to get the big mower.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
weeded.... watered..... weeded.... watered....... killed some bugs.... weeded....

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Smart Red - Our neighbor was just saying that what we call wild blackberries are actually black raspberries, so I guess I've been misinformed all these years. :D And actually I HATE peas. :sick We grow them for DH. :D

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
@curly_kate , I was just having a discussion yesterday about blackberries/black raspberries. It seems that the most obvious difference is that when you pick them, raspberries leave their stem - become hollow - where blackberries come away with their stems.
I'm eager for the ones around my place to ripen enough for me to try and see what I've got - anywhere that isn't mowed regularly has huge, arching canes hoping to re-take the land!

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
My garden is doing terrible. The heat and the drought are taking a toll on growth. I have been making compost tea from a bag of "compost with 15% chicken manure" and that has not helped at all. Nothing is thriving, not even the beans (heirloom or my regular ones). We are going away again this weekend due to renters coming to our home, and since its supposed to be 100 and 101, I might ask them to spray some water on the beds for me. Sigh.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@curly_kate , I was just having a discussion yesterday about blackberries/black raspberries. It seems that the most obvious difference is that when you pick them, raspberries leave their stem - become hollow - where blackberries come away with their stems.
I'm eager for the ones around my place to ripen enough for me to try and see what I've got - anywhere that isn't mowed regularly has huge, arching canes hoping to re-take the land!
Most obvious difference for me is raspberries have round canes while blackberries have squared stems. Black raspberries are nearly a month earlier that blackberries so we get the best of both fruits and tire of none.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haven't posted for a while but today was a big day even if it rained most of the afternoon. We needed the rain. It totaled about half and inch.

I took the oregano out of the dehydrator and put some thyme in. I ate my first tomato of the year and harvested my plum crop. Yeah, one plum. A frost got the flowers, I didn't think I was going to get any at all and I got one. Whoopee. I also had very fresh green beans for supper. Second time for them.

I started my seeds for the fall broccoli crop. That's the only fall crop I'll try to start from seeds. And I transplanted a volunteer lettuce leaf basil, a bunch of zinnias (around 20) and a few marigolds. I have 4 marigolds to go and I'll be finished with them.