What did YOU do in your garden today :P

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Weeded, put supports up for the asparagus that are falling over into the walkway and tied string around to keep them all up. Put more string up for pole beans. Tied some tomatoes up a little that were going to fall over towards the beans. Picked Nanking cherries and pitted 6 quarts to freeze. Picked a couple of cups of the first raspberries and ate most of them.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Green beans? We bought a ridiculous amount of Jade seed several years ago. It seems to be failing at following the lettuce. Looks like I'm gonna have a chance to grow Topcrop again! Don't want to miss the chance to follow the peas with green beans.

I grew out some Topcrop for BlueJay last year and I was super impressed with how heavily productive it is. There were more beans than plant! Perfect for canning. I'm planting a bunch of them this year.

Today I set up my bamboo teepees for the beans, staked and reworked some viney bush beans back into their rows, handpicked Japanese beetles with help from both of my girls (so cute with their gloves on, they were very gung-ho about it), pulled weeds in the beets/carrots/greens/bok choy patch, which is where my final frontier of weeds lie (grass quickly overtook the carrots with all of this rain we've been having, so those will have to be replanted.) Harvested all of the shallots, some beets and some radishes.

Yesterday both of the girls helped me pull weeds in the front landscaping. I love pulling weeds out there since they come up so easily in that decomposing mulch. Took us only about an hour and a half to do the whole front of the house.

DH is has a long weekend off for the Fourth. He is supposed to put up my electric fence for me tomorrow! :weee

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Yesterday I dug weeds out of all of my unplanted yet 4 beds. I had burdock that was 4 ft. tall with 15 inch roots!! Since we've had all of this rain it just took my spade and PLENTY of elbow grease to get these out by the roots. All beds but one are nicely mixed with compost. I'll take the "bad" bed today and dig out about 10 inches of compacted clay and replace it with compost mix in the big area just north of it. Then, it's the planting of my sweet peppers, hot peppers, roma tomatoes and beefsteak tomatoes, ALL now in nursey pots awaiting bedding.
I am really sore, but I don't mind bc I'm waiting for the rain to stop so that I can horse train, and this activity keeps me in riding shape.
Oh, almost forgot. 8 little "Fuzzy Butts" are now in their brooder in the barn, running around in the 110 gallon steel horse tank that sprung a leak several years ago. I put in 2 inches of garden dirt on the bottom, then a few inches of fluffy wood shavings, then clean towels. They have enough food for a week, and enough water for 3 days bc they're so little. I WILL take pictures of THEM--we have a really cute little grey chick amongst the Jungle Fowl looking EE chicks. :D
It was still damp in the stall area, but thank goodness for Equine Fresh (pine shavings made into a soup, extruded and super dried so that they absorb moisture.) The stall actually smells sweet now, without overpowering you with a wall of scent.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I watered with the soaker hose, and spent some time crushing cucumber beetles. Picked some peas.

I'm not going back out there! 91 degrees, very humid, kind of unacceptable for this time of year, but it is supposed to break later this week.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score

DH repaired a hairline crack in the engine block of his '98 Cavalier with that amazing stuff. It's such an old car, just gonna drive it to commute until it blows up because it gets such good gas milage, so he figured it was worth the chance. It's been two years, still running!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pulled weeds, picked a few raspberries and Nanking cherries. Put more string up for the pole beans, fried some blue potatoes and have the dehydrator full of blue potatoes. Saw my first squash blossom and cucumber blossom. I am going to need a ladder to pick elderberries and blackberries.

Ken Adams

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Picked Logan black raspberries, weeded and hilled potatoes, harvested the last of the pea pods, battled rust in the beans and then ate black raspberry muffins :)

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Weeded, put supports up for the asparagus that are falling over into the walkway and tied string around to keep them all up. Put more string up for pole beans. Tied some tomatoes up a little that were going to fall over towards the beans. Picked Nanking cherries and pitted 6 quarts to freeze. Picked a couple of cups of the first raspberries and ate most of them.

:D .. I do that too, with the raspberries. It's impossible to get that first batch all the way to the house. If we are short on the raspberry jam it's all my fault! I may have a few ready today.:woot

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a nice little bowl of raspberries, not expecting many off of half dozen plants.

Picked a big bag of snap peas, or that is, DW and I did. She needs to check after me ;). The extra string on the pea trellis worked! The vines are tall, were loaded and stayed upright.

Trellis building has continued in the flowers and I only have the glads left for the first layer of string. I really need to get to them now. They are always last and usually really need support before I finally get over there.

That 1st set of string also comes with my final weeding. Nothing like standing on my head, trying to reach the ground between tall gladiolas!

Steve

Latest posts