What did YOU do in your garden today :P

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Went up and down those permanent paths with the big tiller, most of them.

Knew I couldn't get close to the tomatoes so will need to go back there with the hoe, ho, ho .. After getting tangled in some bean plants (not Russ'!), went to pulling weeds by hand, then called it a (3 hour) day.

Too hot, windy and the air is filled with smoke! Probably a good day to kill a weed ...

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Didn't get anything done in the garden today. . .yet.

Late yesterday we were served papers regarding the neighbor's property dispute with us. This is so stressful, especially with DH having problems since his fall and brain bleed. I feel like it's up to me to do everything. Sigh!

I should get out for a while and at least pull weeds. That is sure to distract my mind.
So sorry about your neighbor dispute when your mind is so worried about your DH. You know you can come to your TEG friends and vent.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I walked around our garden yesterday to see what was going on with the plants. I noticed some baby green beans, some small green tomatoes and the corn is thinking about starting to make some ears:drool. I sure hope we get something this year. We havent really been in the gardening mood this year:(. Shoot I didnt even plant all my window boxes around the gazebo! :barnie

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Haven't harvested a thing yet, but everything is growing nicely, if a little bit late. I have had rotten luck with any squash the last few years, so I started zuchinni from seed, but it in a really big pot, and yesterday I transplanted them to a bed. I put two in my tree pots, close to the house to hopefully avoid squash bugs and squash fine borers. I put two in smaller pots, and made a bed of 6 of them. Several have started buds at the base, so I think I should get some zucchini this year.
I had DD help me clean out the horse stalls, last used in early May, and I tilled that into the place for my beds. I used to screw together my wood, but this year I weeded the whole patch, pulled up my wooden borders and used the dirt to help hold them all together. I kinda like this system better.
If I get zucchini, I will can them together with my tomatoes and onions. I did this several years ago and they kept well AND were mighty tasty in February. :drool

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Late yesterday after the sun went over the trees Teresa and I went out to the garden and dug 'taters. We took about 50 pounds of red Kennebecks or Pontiacs (don't remember which ones we planted). They have a slightly yellow flesh. And we took in another 25 pounds of beautiful red and white fingerlings. Looking forward to salted fingerlings with those. Teresa spread them out over a plastic tablecloth in the spare B/R and is letting them dry before we dust them off and put them in crates. I really wish we had a basement or a root cellar. That has to be high on my list of things to do in the coming year or so.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jim, I once dug a hole, set posts around its perimeter and laid them over the top, except where I dropped a heavy door. Recovering with soil, there it was: an instant (sorta) root cellar. I then built a wood shed over the top. That covered it with a roof.

In a couple years, I had a new basement nearby. The root cellar could be filled in. I'll tell you what. It kept veggies through the winter better than that too warm basement!

Yesterday, I decided to cut all my potato vines. They were all looking pretty bad. I got a few more "new" potatoes and may begin the slow process of digging a few spuds, filling in and sowing a few Asian greens seed ... slowly moving through the bed as compostables come available. It's time! Gotta get that fall\winter greens crop started!

:) Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm mostly down to pulling/hoeing a few weeds here and there, harvesting things, spraying where needed and taking field notes on my grow-outs. I've had some lazy days in the garden lately thanks to all the mulch. It has been raining like crazy here. Everything is a jungle, but the weeds are not much of a problem this year.

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Jim, I once dug a hole, set posts around its perimeter and laid them over the top, except where I dropped a heavy door. Recovering with soil, there it was: an instant (sorta) root cellar. I then built a wood shed over the top. That covered it with a roof. In a couple years, I had a new basement nearby. The root cellar could be filled in. I'll tell you what. It kept veggies through the winter better than that too warm basement!
:) Steve
Steve, it may be that is what I do. I've thought about doing one in the past similar to what you're describing here. You got me a'thinking again...

Latest posts