What Did You Do In Your Garden Today?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I think it's great that you already have them started! I actually ordered an early crop or two, but right now I can't remember what they are. This year should be a definitive one for my continuing question of how many pounds to plant to keep us in potatoes for an entire year. I ordered 48 pounds.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whoa!

I had 5# for 100sqft and, hopefully, 100# to harvest. Let's see 48# @ 1#/20sqft = "!" Does a 1,000sqft potato patch sound about right, Thistle'? Half a ton to harvest?!!

Oh, and they were Red Norlands! Well, I've had good luck with those too :rolleyes:.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bought a blueberries sprout and planted it. So cold it will be froze in AM

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DigitS, we did have bountiful harvest last year when people around us did not and it was the luck of hitting the weather just right in so many instances, AND my DH's big water bill. Problem was those large amount of potatoes, both Kennebec and sweet potatoes, didn't keep well during the winter, rot was a big problem. So funny, my mother wasn't going to do a big garden this year and we have two going. Last years site was only going to be for corn since it is closer to the house and we can watch for coons and deer better and the other site for the other things. Guess we will have room for lots of melons this year, one of my favorites. Happy gardening friends!

Seedcorn, fertilized my blueberries this week and they have buds ready to open. I hope to actually get some berries this year. Haven't had much luck before. My bushes aren't growing much. On the third year and still very small. Guess I haven't fed them enough.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
2nd year for me. Just hoping my soil is acid enough. Up here they love muck. Muck is high in carbon and high water table. They love both and muck naturally acidic good luck with yours

My G'ma used to make the wirld's best BB pie with Tennessee blueberries G'pa would pick. Different taste than northern BB.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Whoa!

I had 5# for 100sqft and, hopefully, 100# to harvest. Let's see 48# @ 1#/20sqft = "!" Does a 1,000sqft potato patch sound about right, Thistle'? Half a ton to harvest?!!

Oh, and they were Red Norlands! Well, I've had good luck with those too :rolleyes:.

Steve
No, pretty sure I won't be harvesting half a ton! I'd have to start a soup kitchen! :lol:

I'm looking at my records from the past couple years, and in 2011 I planted 17 pounds and harvested...197.
Last year I put in 30 and harvested 270. So I'm expecting to get something less than 500 pounds this year God willing and the creek don't rise.
I'm pretty happy with my storage efforts so far, although my storage box was full and I don't know yet how I will deal with the extra.
I'll come up with something by then!

Except for my usual Maris Piper I'm planting all new to me varieties.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted that flat of Beans today. Got a good separation on the plants too. About half are single row, half double row. Any other beans in that bed will be bush to the south of them.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I dug up and enlarged the bed around the pine stump, pulled weeds and then moved about 100 iris from a tiny DENSE bed just up from the stump to surround it. Plus added those sad little Easter lilies.
8721_irisbedrework41413.jpg

Then I went to lunch with my sister and picked up some top soil on the way home. I just wasn't convinced that the compost was ready to be a good garden so I wanted to add some 'soil' to it.
8721_gardenplanted41413.jpg

After that was all worked in, I got the tomatoes, peppers, corn and a few sad little cabbages planted.
8721_gardenplanted41413_2.jpg

Then I harvested 2 big blue buckets of 'chicken salad'. You know, all those lovely organic native plants that were growing around the garden and starting to work their way towards the fresh soil there. It was starting to get really dark so I called it a day. Now... I'm heading for a long hot shower and another handful of Tylonel.

It was a Good day :)

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What'd I do in the garden today? A bunch. Been sprucing things up. I weed-eated around every box and then mowed everything else. I've got a large 4x8 box that I need to weed tomorrow so I can plant some peas in it. Teresa's promised she'll clean off her asparagus box and see what we have there. She covered it with straw late last fall and now there's hay grass growing but that'll come out pretty easy. This will be the third year I think for the asparagus so I understand we can pretty much take whatever comes up. Hope so 'cause I love asparagus. The romaine lettuce, Chinese and dutch cabbage and collard greens have gone nuts. I've got spring onions shooting up in between all the lettuce. I've got four or five potato sprouts coming up already so I guess I'll be hilling those in a few days. And I put in two rhubarb plants in for Teresa too. Tomorrow when I'm done I'll post some pics so you Yankee folks up north can be envious...:) We're supposed to have mid 70's here for the next week with lows in the mid to high 40's. Spring has done sprung in down here in central North Carolina. :cool: