What did You do "To Grow?"

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you , I heard that birds actually prefer the tart cherries over the sweet.
The idea was that if you had a sweet cherry tree and you also had a tart one, the birds would eat the tart and leave the sweet alone. Anybody else ever hear or experience this?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Placed wood ashes around all my seedlings in the garden yesterday, to discourage cut worms. Lost 4 seedlings this season already...that's more than we ever have before but I'm pretty sure I know why. Next year will be different.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nope! Around here the birds (illegal migrants, I am sure) eat the sweet cherries before they ripen -- so they are still tart-ish, and eat the tart pie cherries with equal abandon. This year I am hanging tiny red Christmas ornaments on the cherry trees in hopes of training the birds that these trees are not tasty.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hours yesterday were spent weeding.

The potatoes were finished - big deal, 100sqft. The dahlia garden was finished (except the paths), Big Deal! ...
The dahlias were re-finished! Two weeks! It's amazing how fast tiny, missed purslane can grow.

This should do it for the dahlia garden. Some of the dahlias are knee high and they will soon be much bigger, completely shading the soil. The little veggie garden requires ongoing weeding but the beds are clear of weeds. Paths are, more-or-less. As veggies crowd it, scratching thru with the hoe will be about all that can be done.

The big veggie garden has not been finished for its initial weeding. That's kinda okay because they, at least, aren't going to seed. Earliest beds were finished but now have that second weed crop. Will have to finish other beds before beginning to "re-finish." Tight scheduling ;). The big tiller is raring to grind 'em into the dust in the garden extension. Timing will be important because it will be the last pass through there between the rows as the plants grow too large for a third time.

Started trellis building in the flower garden. Mustn't delay ...

Steve ;)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
SOOO far behind. ALl of the beefsteak tomatoes are in. MOST of the Romas are in their bed. None of the cherries are in theirs, but let's face it--we ALL get way too many volunteer cherries...
Speaking of cherries, I'm behind, too, but I've harvested enough for 3 pies from the first tree to ripen. I'm expecting about 6-7 pies worth. The hanging CD's seem to have discouraged the birds.
Still have to put in peppers, sweet and jalepeno, and to plant the beets, okra, corn, pumpkin seeds and purchased watermelon. Reminds me of about 10 years ago, when I didn't finish my planting until end of June, but had a great harvest anyway!
Gotta weed next to my beds to get into them!!!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon I got the neglected potato and pea garden attended to.
I ditched work so I could catch up at home, so later this week will have to piggyback a few jobs and make a couple of really long days, but it was worth it.

As I was crawling around pulling the weeds out of the beds dh got home and wandered up. He had promised me that he would help out with the garden this year, but I don't nag and he usually has some other task that he has to see to when I'm weeding. WINK.

But he was brave and came out to see me so I took the bull by the horns and in my most winsome voice asked if he wanted to help. He's not a weeder and I respect that so I had him give the potatoes their long overdue hilling. That done, he set to picking peas. Then he helped me blanch and freeze them.

It was enjoyable having his company in the garden and we got a lot done that would still be waiting for me if he hadn't helped.
He still has time to turn into a gardener, or at least a decent assistant!

In fact we got enough done that we had time to take the bikes out for a little trail ride, something I usually tell him I don't have time to do with him (because I'm pulling weeds...) so that made him happy. :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aww, that is sweet, @thistlebloom . Two are better than one! I always feel like I get more done when DH helps because the encouragement puts me in a good mood and I get to chatting and it helps me work faster. :)