What do u spend on garden plants and seeds?

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would not even try to make a guess on how much we spend per year on seeds. I have made my second seed order of the season and have spent $110 between the two, plus DW is more of a pick up seeds here and there all year long so that adds up also. Last year we put in 4 grapes, 7 fruit trees, 4 huckleberry shrubs, 2 maple trees , and some misc berry bushes. We only plan on putting in 3 more maple this year so that will save some serious lettuce. You just never know what you might come across though when you are out and about, gotta keep your options open lol.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think having so much space is what does my garden budget in every year. It was a lot easier to limit myself when I didn’t have a lot of space. Now it’s temping to buy all those things that I’ve been daydreaming about because I have the space for them.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think having so much space is what does my garden budget in every year. It was a lot easier to limit myself when I didn’t have a lot of space. Now it’s temping to buy all those things that I’ve been daydreaming about because I have the space for them.

i am failing to see a problem here. did you say budget? :) i do try to stick to my budget and most of the time i'm pretty good, but then i have a bit of a slush fund which is where things like entertainment and toys can come from and if that gets high enough i don't have problems doing a bit of creative ex-post-facto accounting to justify something if we really need it.

unlike the government there is really only one vote here that counts. we'll ok, two, but i don't let her think she runs my roost... :)

this past year with not doing much travel or running around i have extra money building up and so that is nice for a change and an extra $1800 in stimulus money certainly is nice for me right now since i generally try to keep my budget to a few hundred a month.

i had planned on spending for some picture taking gadgets last spring so that money has been sitting there and mostly collecting dust/interest (which perhaps dust is a more accurate term lately with interest rates so low) and finally got that done this past weekend so now i can see how the accounts look for going into this coming season and see what i have left to work with for the next few months.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm not a flower kind of guy but each year I buy a few packets of flower seeds to keep DW smiling (I'm such a wonderful husband). For the late few years we have been planting Zinnias in our little 16'x2' annual bed across the front of our porch. They grow WAY too tall so last week I bought 3 packets of Dwarf Nasturtium seeds. 3.5G in each packet for $1.89. When I'm standing at the display rack I don't know what a Grain amounts to in flower seeds. I know how much a Grain is in gun powder. But this morning I FOUND OUT! I think there were 8 to 10 seeds in each packet. I think 8 to 10 seeds for $1.89 is outrageous!!! Seeds must have quadrupled in price in one season.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm not a flower kind of guy but each year I buy a few packets of flower seeds to keep DW smiling (I'm such a wonderful husband). For the late few years we have been planting Zinnias in our little 16'x2' annual bed across the front of our porch. They grow WAY too tall so last week I bought 3 packets of Dwarf Nasturtium seeds. 3.5G in each packet for $1.89. When I'm standing at the display rack I don't know what a Grain amounts to in flower seeds. I know how much a Grain is in gun powder. But this morning I FOUND OUT! I think there were 8 to 10 seeds in each packet. I think 8 to 10 seeds for $1.89 is outrageous!!! Seeds must have quadrupled in price in one season.
They did :). The rush on seeds last year increased prices in some places this year

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it makes you appreciate those plants that you can grow and reliably get seeds back from even more.

for me cosmos (the yellow, orange and reddish tinted ones) have always been that ways. i can grow then, get plenty back and share them around to people who like flowers. they grow pretty easy and the rabbits and deer usually don't chew on them too much. the bees adore them and they're a great later summer bee food planting. aside from the fact that they're cheerful and tall enough to make a border planting or backdrop for other plants if you have that kind of space.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
it makes you appreciate those plants that you can grow and reliably get seeds back from even more.

for me cosmos (the yellow, orange and reddish tinted ones) have always been that ways. i can grow then, get plenty back and share them around to people who like flowers. they grow pretty easy and the rabbits and deer usually don't chew on them too much. the bees adore them and they're a great later summer bee food planting. aside from the fact that they're cheerful and tall enough to make a border planting or backdrop for other plants if you have that kind of space.
I spent about $450 two years ago on a good amount of seed for prairie wildflowers & grasses \that I want my land filled with instead of giant foxtail and canary reed. I chose 5 plots across the land to cut to dirt and spread the seed mixed with a substrate of manure. Ideally they'd all bloom and spread seeds from their sections. A few of the plots have shown life, but not all. I have gone out and collected some of the seeds to help spread around. I'm hoping to see the second season version of some of those this year. Come on Rattlesnake Master!!!!

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I probably came close too 200 this year. I’ve added lots of potting soil and some trees and bushes since my original post. I’ve also been bulking up my seed stash because of all the chaos going on in the world.

Latest posts