What happened???

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm trying to think about gardening, but it's hard. Yesterday I got up to 16° and another inch of snow. It's almost April for Heavens sake!
We want to add to the chicken flock, but I don't want to try to deal with brooding chicks in the barn when it's still getting that cold. Dew is selling eggs faster than the birds can lay them, with back orders piling up.

On the brighter side, I did notice the garlic I planted last fall survived the brutal winter. I did have some frost heave, but managed to reset the bulbs. I haven't even checked on the rosemary bushes I decided to try to overwinter outside in the herb garden yet.

BTW, I posted a pic of Dew's quilt in another thread.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear that about the Garlic. Hopefully that includes some of the cloves I sent you. Mine's looking pretty good.

I'm waiting to see what kind of season it's going to be. I get the feeling it might be a late spring but you never know. I'm still 2-1/2 weeks away from my average last freeze and I've got a plum tree blooming I'm worrying about. Last year we had snow accumulation on May 1st. My plums, one peach tree, and the apple blossoms were pretty much wiped out for the season.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can relate Dew. Dh had very little work this winter and so resorted to trailing around the house behind me.

It's one of those times I wished I had a basement, I could toss cookies down the steps and then lock the door when he went after them!
Kidding! I love his little neurotic self...
:D

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:yuckyuck LOL That sounds like something I would do too thistlebloom! Yes it has been a VERY long winter!!!!!!! It's supposed to be nice for the next serveral days, MAYBE just MAYBE he will go next door and play with his big boy toys...... :woot :lol:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can relate Dew. Dh had very little work this winter and so resorted to trailing around the house behind me.

It's one of those times I wished I had a basement, I could toss cookies down the steps and then lock the door when he went after them!
Kidding! I love his little neurotic self...
:D

:yuckyuck I like the way you think! :gig

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Glad to hear that about the Garlic. Hopefully that includes some of the cloves I sent you. Mine's looking pretty good.

I'm waiting to see what kind of season it's going to be. I get the feeling it might be a late spring but you never know. I'm still 2-1/2 weeks away from my average last freeze and I've got a plum tree blooming I'm worrying about. Last year we had snow accumulation on May 1st. My plums, one peach tree, and the apple blossoms were pretty much wiped out for the season.

I'm certain that what you sent me has come up, at least some of it. There is only one row that is not showing and I have to find my drawing to identify it.

On the downside...my rosemary is probably dead. I built up the nerve to check on it today. Something tells me it shouldn't be dry, brown, and crispy :(

Latest posts