What happened???

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This was a tough winter on a lot of us, Rosemary included. I think mine is gone, but will be looking for shoots down near the base. I had gotten it up to about 5 ft tall after the last few mild winters. Not this year :oops: But at least I brought some cuttings in last Fall, so I'll just start all over again. :) Spring is coming! :celebrate

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's one kind of rosemary that is supposed to be winter hardy around here, Monty. I forget now the name of the cultivar. It was mentioned on here a long while back. But whatever they sell at Walmart (Bonnie's) isn't it. I've lost 2 of them by trying to keep them outside. I bring mine inside in a pot now.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Arp! Excuse me.

:frow Hi MontyJ & 'Dew! :frow Good to see you!

Arp Rosemary may be the "hardier" variety but the ideas on that varies from zone 8 to zone 6. Maybe it would be best to split the difference at zone 7. That's what WVU Extension did (link).

I just figured I'd have to bring rosemary in and began doing that with "Rex" about 15 winters ago. Rex sounded in every way as trustworthy here, as Arp.

Steve

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:frow Steve! I was outside a while ago and uncovered my roses. I looked at a few of them, they have some new growth. I need to get back out there and check the rest and do a little pruning. I hope the Polar Vortex blasts we had did not kill the rest! :'( :barnie

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, just so you know. You're responsible. I just ordered some Arp Rosemary. Mine died over the winter too but I know it can survive here. I've seen a few giant bushes of it, so I'll try again. Both the people I talked to about their beautiful rosemary bushes said they don't do anything to it, just leave it on its own for the winter.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
dewdropsinwv said:
:frow Steve! I was outside a while ago and uncovered my roses. I looked at a few of them, they have some new growth. I need to get back out there and check the rest and do a little pruning. I hope the Polar Vortex blasts we had did not kill the rest! :'( :barnie

I hadn't had to cover mine before and I nearly paid for it this year. They are still alive, but the canes died all the way back almost to the crown. I did lose some transplants I had off of my spirea and pink honeysuckle. So far I think that's all that fell victim to the polar vortex.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think lots of us expect too much from our roses, Dew'.

We are told that our tea roses are from South China. That would mean south of 30° North latitude. It might be a little high in the "land of the tea rose" but we are talking about south of New Orleans' line of latitude . . !

It would be nice if I could grow them like I did in the rose greenhouse, years ago. Seems that they are lucky to live from year to year in my yard!

Steve

Latest posts