What have you canned or preserved today?

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I did 8 jars of salsa (I use Annie's Salsa recipe which can be found by googling) and 6 jars of chili sauce. Tonight when I get home from work I've GOT to use up another huge bowl of roma tomatoes and want to do spaghetti sauce but I have yet to ever get the taste right, anyone have a good spaghetti sauce recipe that is tried and true?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
6596_img_7007.jpg

I roast my tomatoes, jalapenos, and garlic on a comal (griddle pan).

6596_img_7008.jpg

Here are 5 pints from 2 batches of roasted tomatoes.

Forgot to mention that this is how I make my salsa. I need to practice on making my pictures smaller. I don't know which I'm supposed to click on! Ugh! computers!

Mary

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes it looks yummy, do you skin and then drain your chopped tomatoes? I'm assuming so but was just wondering.

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm having difficulty getting seals on my widemouth quart jars. I processed 3 (I know, I'm a slacker) jars yesterday and got zero seals. The 1 inch headspace wasn't enough and 2 of the jars barfed some tomatoes out, obviously not forming a seal. I reprocessed them today with new lids and only got 2/3 to seal. No jar barf this time. What gives??! Any clues? I'm pressure canning, new jars.

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Not sure what you were canning but did you run something around the inside to get air out?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcrazy, I just throw everything into the blender, then I add chopped cilantro. This is how my grandmother from Mexico used to do it.

Mary

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Supergirl, if you don't let the pressure come down slowly in that canner, it will mess up your seals. Maybe that happened? You really don't need to pressure can tomato products. I have never had a jar not seal, in a waterbath canner.

Latest posts