What interesting creatures live in your garden?

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ohooo @sumi, looked at that picture and heard my fathers voice say fangs float. when we were kids he taught us that venomous snakes in the water have their whole body out of the water, like your snake, but nonvenomous snakes just have their heads sticking out. do you know what kind of snake that is?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That's interesting! Wow, I didn't know that... I asked my DH to take a stab at what kind it was and he thinks it was a cobra. It was far away from us, I had to zoom in quite a bit to get the pic, and it motored when the kids started tossing stones at it, so we didn't get a good look. It was huge, I'm guessing 5 feet long.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thanks, @Smart Red Kudos to my wonderful camera. That snake moved FAST!

My son brought home a young and sopping wet mousebird today (Mousebird - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). It fell into the water channel across the road from us. I dried if off under the heat lamp, but the little turnip escaped from the crate and shot out the door before I could take a pic.

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@ sumi, that mousebird is really cool. yea for your son for rescuing him. thought i would show off a cute little guy on my driveway gate. he was hiding from the chickens and ducks when i saw him
IMG_0215.JPG

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@Smart Red I took some more rose pics for you and here's some eye candy to make up for the creepies
DSC05489.jpg

We've got 9 of these and 2 more busy hatching :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
The kids found this little nonsense in the garden and my suggestion to give it to a friend of ours that has a pet snake was met with horror, so... We now have a pet rodent.

(I must confess watching this little thing, backside waving around in the air, trying to burrow into DH's hand was by far the cutest thing I've seen in a long, long time)

DSC05507.jpg

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
baby anything is cute but what is it going to be when it grows up? all i can say is good luck girl. i liked the snake idea