What is on the list for spring?

hsm5grls

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh lots of stuff going into the garden this spring. The stuff mentioned and some chile's all different kinds so we can make salsa and red and green chile sauce for enchiladas and things like that. Of course tomatoes are the gem of the garden I think and zucchini. I was thinking of putting in some gourds for art projects with the girls, a small pumpkin patch with sun flowers for the girls and of course an herb garden. Wow is spring going to be busy and fun.

Smitty's Farm

Leafing Out
Reaction score
hsm5grls said:
Oh lots of stuff going into the garden this spring. The stuff mentioned and some chile's all different kinds so we can make salsa and red and green chile sauce for enchiladas and things like that. Of course tomatoes are the gem of the garden I think and zucchini. I was thinking of putting in some gourds for art projects with the girls, a small pumpkin patch with sun flowers for the girls and of course an herb garden. Wow is spring going to be busy and fun.
I grow a lot of diff chile peppers and make salsa also. It's a fun family project. My daughter likes to be the salsa taster before we can it.

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I usually spend New Year's Day planning my veggie garden. I get out the seed catalogs which have typically arrived by then and start dreaming. We've spent the past few weeks reclaiming some space behind the garage. It was taken over by weeds but we chopped it to the ground, covered it with thick layers of newspaper, then landscape fabric and yesterday we mulched all the oak leaves in the backyard and spread them on top.
I HAVE to have tomatoes and green beans. I love to eat them warm from the sun right off the vine. I will be adding hot peppers this year. Not sure what else yet.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nifty, that is an awesome picture!

This spring will be my first veggie garden. I'm planning on squash, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, snap beans, snow peas, purple hull peas and red potatoes. I want make bread and butter pickles and salsa. I did plant garlic in my flower garden - I'll be anxious to see if it come up!

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Planting a small orchard of apples, cherries, plums and pears. Blueberries. Building a grape arbor and moving my raspberries and thats just the fruit. lol

Building more raised beds for my veggie garden and my mellons.

This years planting will be beats, acorn squash, bell and banna peppers of various colors. A cherry tomatos and herilom varties. Beans, lleaf and head lettus, cucs and zucs, rutabagas, koilrobies, parsnips, carrots . Onions,red and yellow watermelons, canalopes, probably a pumkin or two. I am sure I am forgetting something but its what I could remember off the top of my head. :)

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lemme think...

Grain: 5 kinds of corn, quinoa, I think I have a packet of amaranth, too
sweet & hot peppers, a few kinds of each, eggplants, various tomatoes
4 kinds of potatoes, couple sorts of carrots, beets
leeks, some different onions, garlic
snap & shell peas, scarlet runner beans, haricot beans, couple kinds of soup beans
zucchini, some little summer squash, 4 kinds of winter squash, 3 kinds of pumpkins, 3 kinds of melons, 2 kinds of cukes
bunch of lettuce and salad greens, winter greens, don't even remember what all I have anymore
cabbage, broccoli
asparagus, I put my asparagus bed in last year so I might get a handful of spears, but I think I need more.
orchard put in last year might give me a few apples, also have some more trees on order to replace the ones the deer destroyed
bunch of herbs, sunflowers
strawberries
I had some blueberry, red & yellow raspberry and gooseberry plants but DH mowed them. He owes me some more. I suppose it is remotely possible one or two might come back, but doubt it.
grapes! I'm going to try table and white wine grapes.

Also a fishing license. We are going to try eating locally, and mainly out of the garden, as much as possible.

Oh, and when we have some structural work done on our house next year, the whole front yard will be dug up, so I'm going to put a stone wall around the front and put in a rose garden instead of the stupid grass.

Plus I have to build a chicken coop separate from the barn so we can start renovating the barn in 2009. You all are inspiring me with your chicken gardens, I will have to think about how I can incorporate chicken things into the landscaping around their coop.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Grain: 5 kinds of corn, quinoa, I think I have a packet of amaranth, too
Wow Rosalind, that's quite a garden and some interesting choices, as well!!

I have been placing emphasis the last few years on fresh veggies. Since we don't can and the freezer can only hold so much . . . that means I buy veggies all Winter. In 2008, the plans are for putting in a few more potatoes and such.

Also, I intend to grow for the chickens. I'm really doing a lot of reading on how to give them a good diet from the garden!! There will only be a few hens to support and they'll have laying mash free-choice so this won't be too tuff. But one of these days, I'd like to eliminate the commercial feed entirely and still have good egg production. The proof that this can be done will start in 2008 and I think it will be LOTS of fun!!

Steve

redneck_cowgirl87

Leafing Out
Reaction score
some little summer squash, 4 kinds of winter squash,
ok i am new to gardening whats the differance in the squash? i have eaten a yellow squash before it was really good but dont know what it was called and trying to think of veggies i can can lol so far i plan on corn, stringless green beans,carrots,cucs,Tomatoes always,potatoes,cabbage,little cabbage heads (i know thats not what it is but looks like):lol:,beets,green pepers(bell),not sure what else havent made my list out yet! Any way let me know the differance please and if theres a differance in taste thanks alot

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The difference between summer squash and winter squash: Summer squash don't keep, and they have thin rinds, the texture and flavor is different--more watery, more like a cucumber than a pumpkin. Winter squash have thick rinds, are more like pumpkin.

The difference between some winter squashes and other winter squashes is in sugar content, shape, size, subtle flavor variations, water content. Spaghetti squash are winter squash, but are very different from acorn squash.

Latest posts