What kind of bird

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
This bird showed up this morning and has been hanging around. I saw it under the bird feeder and got this picture.
Bird.jpg

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
looks like a partridge or bob white type...
We have the California quail here in our yard and I hear them. This bird we have never heard before. I guess a different type of quail would make a different sound. My dad used to make bird sounds and copy them get them to answer. He did the bob white quail all the time. I almost thought i heard the bob white sound tonight. This picture is the quail we have. I took this picture 2 years ago.
quail again.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I once showed up at the distant garden and discovered a small flock of Bobwhite on the neighbor's lawn. Years ago, never saw them around here, before or since. My guess is that the Interior NW population was brought here and the ones at the garden were raised by a neighbor who had just turned them loose.

Chukars were once here in considerable numbers. But, so were pheasants as they were intentionally raised and released into the wild by a Idaho State "game farm." Introduced but a population of both have taken hold in some locations.

Here's some information on the Chukar LINK.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I once showed up at the distant garden and discovered a small flock of Bobwhite on the neighbor's lawn. Years ago, never saw them around here, before or since. My guess is that the Interior NW population was brought here and the ones at the garden were raised by a neighbor who had just turned them loose.

Chukars were once here in considerable numbers. But, so were pheasants as they were intentionally raised and released into the wild by a Idaho State "game farm." Introduced but a population of both have taken hold in some locations.

Here's some information on the Chukar LINK.

what a pretty birdie! :) i've not seen a bird like that before. :)

the female California Quail looks like a match for @Gardening with Rabbits 's picture.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I moved out into the sticks in the mid-70's, I bought a nice 35mm camera with a telescopic lens and the full intention of taking lots of bird pictures.

Not only did I find that the heavy thing was a pain to carry around but I would have to scramble un.suc.cess.ful.ly 90% of the time that I was motivated by a bird sighting. What a pain – and a personal distraction from enjoying them. Those people who capture good bird photographs have my honest appreciation.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I moved out into the sticks in the mid-70's, I bought a nice 35mm camera with a telescopic lens and the full intention of taking lots of bird pictures.

Not only did I find that the heavy thing was a pain to carry around but I would have to scramble un.suc.cess.ful.ly 90% of the time that I was motivated by a bird sighting. What a pain – and a personal distraction from enjoying them. Those people who capture good bird photographs have my honest appreciation.

digital cameras are great. my last episode of film involved some pictures i thought i was taking but the film was not loaded correctly so i was not getting anything captured and didn't know it until after the film was developed. oops. there were likely some very nice shots on that roll had i gotten them.

i also wish i had a better telephoto lens for my digital camera because the number of times i see something and would like to see it better but i don't have working binoculars any longer... we've meant to buy some new ones but never remember to do it (same as i'd like some winter goggles to go over my glasses and still haven't gotten any).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is also a possibility.

The Hungarian Partridge. LINK. These were also introduced and around in the "old days." All in the interest in blowing them outta the sky with a shotgun.

Their continued presence in eastern Oregon might mean that @peteyfoozer has them in her backyard. If they are showing up here on their own, it may indicate environmental changes or, not on their own, continued human tampering with bird populations.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Binoculars are very useful for birdwatching.

The pair I have preceded the camera. They definitely enhance one's ability to identify what is being seen.

Still and yet, lighting is important just so that the brain is allowed to register what is there to be seen. Of course, much is missed but small moments of perception, discernment of what is around us, brings pleasure. Special moments.

Latest posts