What kind of bird

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it is especially tiny, I think we need @Phaedra over here to tell us about Coturnix. That quail comes in many color patterns but they are tiny, tiny.

Not so small - Cornell says that the "tan to orange" face of a Gray Partridge (Hungarian, Hun) is a distinguishing characteristic (LINK above). It may be too young to have that color. Don't know about those birds but I have seen them in Kootenai County in the past.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
7019-jpg.57319

@Phaedra 's

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Definitely a member of the quail family, either immature or female (or both maybe). Nice pictures! In that first shot I think I mistook grass stems as part of a longer beak which made me think woodcock, but clearly not in view of these new photos.

i was interrupted before i could post earlier about your guess and observation because i grabbed the picture and magnified it and concluded that it was a mistake on your part for the reason you stated. :)

I wonder if this is a wild bird or one that was raised in captivity.

my vote is captivity escapee or intentionally let go when the feed costs got to be too much.

pretty birdie. :) maybe it can be taught to sit?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Definitely a member of the quail family, either immature or female (or both maybe). Nice pictures! In that first shot I think I mistook grass stems as part of a longer beak which made me think woodcock, but clearly not in view of these new photos.

I wonder if this is a wild bird or one that was raised in captivity.
I am wondering that too because so young it would not have traveled far and the rest of that family should be around here somewhere. I am not sure how long it takes to get to this size, but a few weeks ago I saw the other quail trying to round up their little bitty babies going all over the place. I can see how one could get lost. I had to keep my cat in the house until that bird finally went to bed. I have not seen this one get in a tree.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
i was interrupted before i could post earlier about your guess and observation because i grabbed the picture and magnified it and concluded that it was a mistake on your part for the reason you stated. :)

my vote is captivity escapee or intentionally let go when the feed costs got to be too much.

pretty birdie. :) maybe it can be taught to sit?
It makes the craziest noise and I thought it was coming from a tree, but it sits on the ground and does it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I copied one of your pictures and saved it to my photos. Then I used the Apple ID on my phone to look it up.
Options were Coturnix and Gray Partridge. I copied Gray Partridge. I think Steve nailed it. What do you think? Go to YouTube and look up Gray Partridge calls or sounds. There may be a video of their sounds.

IMG_4674.png

IMG_4675.png

IMG_4676.png

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
There was a brief period where there were some Guinea Fowl in the woods near me (they released them because apparently Guinea Fowl love to eat deer ticks. I think the experiment only lasted a year (I think a mistaken local hunter shot one, or a car hit it, and the others all were re-captured and removed when they didn't make enough of a dent in the Lyme Disease cases to justify their continued presence.)

Then, there was the incident of the blue goose......

Latest posts