What kind of bird

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It looks like a woodcock to me. The bill doesn't quite look long enough but that could be the angle of the photo. I've seen woodcocks on two different occasions in my life, both times in meadows bordering on wooded area, which is where they hang out.

WoodcockPainting1.jpg

WoodcockPainting4.jpg

WoodcockPaintingSnow2.jpg

My grandparents used to have a framed print or watercolor maybe of a woodcock in their kitchen when I was a kid, but not until decades later did I ever get to see one in the wild. I found these pictures recently when looking to see if I could find an image of their print/painting, but no luck finding it. The photo of the bird in flight comes closest.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
It looks like a woodcock to me. The bill doesn't quite look long enough but that could be the angle of the photo. I've seen woodcocks on two different occasions in my life, both times in meadows bordering on wooded area, which is where they hang out.

View attachment 58829

View attachment 58830

View attachment 58831

My grandparents used to have a framed print or watercolor maybe of a woodcock in their kitchen when I was a kid, but not until decades later did I ever get to see one in the wild. I found these pictures recently when looking to see if I could find an image of their print/painting, but no luck finding it. The photo of the bird in flight comes closest.
It does not have a long bill.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I am more confused about it. I was out in the garden and I saw it maybe less than 10 feet walking and I kind of made clinking noises and it was looking at me and not scared and walked on out of the garden. A little bit ago, I went out to get my cat and I saw him looking at something and then all of a sudden the bird came flying up close to me and on the fence and my cat is 16 barely can walk and half his teeth missing and I was actually worried he might catch this bird. It then flew past me about as high as my head and barely made it over to the rabbit hutch. It looked bigger than I had thought before and the way it is flying it is either half grown or had its wings clipped. Reminded me of a chicken trying to fly. It does seem to have some fluffy stuff like it does not have all of its feathers. It seems to hang out close to the house like it is used to people. I will try to get another picture. The wings made quite a bit of noise as it was flying.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Let me think, if it is raised in someone's backyard ...

I'm reminded of the way you happen to have ..

. rabbits.

Ready for an adoption?
I went out to the garden and it was just sitting there and did not run. I was talking to it and got closer. I probably could catch it if was a little younger or more nimble, but I have no idea what I would do with it. I walked over and it just kind of walks around watching me. It went over in the cucumbers and threw the fence going into the squash. I think it is something half grown, but I don't know. I tried to get a recording of the sounds it makes, but it only makes 2 and then stops. I do not have time to start recording. It looks like something that is going to get ate soon if a stray cat comes along or a hawk.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Definitely a member of the quail family, either immature or female (or both maybe). Nice pictures! In that first shot I think I mistook grass stems as part of a longer beak which made me think woodcock, but clearly not in view of these new photos.

I wonder if this is a wild bird or one that was raised in captivity.