What kind of bird

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
It also looks like a quail to me. But, I have very limited experience (only with our own quails). My quails are very sweet but have no chance to survive even in our garden.
Two weeks ago, we had a wind gust one day, and the wind just blew their mobile cage (which we used to let them enjoy some grass during the daytime). I didn't realize it immediately until I saw one Magpie squeezed into a Rhododendron bush and another was walking on the lawn not too far away. I was worried that the Magpie would hurt (baby) birds in the nests there and went out to take a look....holy shift, one escaped quail was almost killed - two holes in the neck, one smaller piercing wound on the body.

This was almost as terrible as when one hen was attacked by the sparrow hawk two years ago. I didn't know if that poor quail could make it, but after the hen's attack, I got my animal first aid box ready for such an accident. Thankfully she made it and started the process of returning the flock.
They are lucky to have you! I just wish this bird would find some other quail and go live its life normally. I wish I knew where the quail went after their babies hatched. You will see little quail running around for about a week or so and then everybody is gone. Do they leave the adult birds and go out on their own or stay with each other? As loud as this bird is, I would think other quail would hear it. My neighbor was thinking this is one of the California quail and it got left behind and I said but it does not have a topknot. He said he thinks too young and comes later, but I am sure I have seen the baby California quail with topknots when very, very small.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
... He said he thinks too young and comes later, but I am sure I have seen the baby California quail with topknots when very, very small.

i'm thinking those might be juvenile males and not juvenile females, but i'm also going to admit i'm grasping at, well, straws here... :) good luck birdie. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Two years ago in the Spring I was listening to the song of some songbird that I had never heard before. I tried to find it online and could not, but I still remember it.
I think it must not have been native, but passing through.
It kinda drives you nuts.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Two years ago in the Spring I was listening to the song of some songbird that I had never heard before. I tried to find it online and could not, but I still remember it.
I think it must not have been native, but passing through.
It kinda drives you nuts.

yes, there are some of those that go through here in the spring and fall. Kirtland's Warbler is one of them.

Latest posts