What should I do with RHUBARB? Any good recipes out there?

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Andy123 said:
Follow up question, what does Rhubarb taste like?
It's the taste of summer that bites you back. It's tart like cranberries but put it with some sugar and strawberries and it's pure heaven. Rhubarb custard pie, rhubarb bread, rhubarb muffins, rhubarb sauce on ice cream, strawberry rhubarb pie, rhubarb jelly.......those are the things summer was about for me when I was a kid.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
From your description it certainly could be rhubarb.

Best way to tell, wait til it grows up enough that one of the stalks is at least sort of asparagus-sized, then pick it (discard the leaf part) and bite into the stalk. If it tastes sort of tart but fruity, it's rhubarb. If it tastes like you'd have to be a ruminant or rodent to really appreciate it, it was burdock :p

Have fun,

Pat, whose rhubarb is just now today starting to poke aboveground, so I dumped a bunch of composted manure on it :) and am looking forward to pies in a month or so.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
rhubarb is a tart vegetable that is treated like a fruit and made into Pies preserves and jams and jellies..It is harvestable before anything else in the spring so it was always a treat for the subsistance farmer to have something fresh to eat...when I was a child we would steal a stalk off our grandfathers plants and eat it raw!!!...pucker power!!!!

I make strawberry rhubarb jam every year... I will try to find the recipe and send it on...

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes it is rhubarb!! Yea! (Thanks Pat, I already tasted it, but I was scared to admit it. I should use more caution but I get impulsive. I have pretty much eaten my way through this little farm!)

Thank GAUD it wasn't burdock...yuck.

Anyway, thanks to all who contributed to this topic. It was a GREAT way to get introduced to all of you fellow gardeners and thank you so much for your input and ideas.

I already have the tops removed (sad because they look so pretty) off about 12 stalks whick are already in the sink for a good washing. Pie this weekend!!

(I have done some research btw and rhubarb freezes well, so I can enjoy it all summer.)

Again, thanks to you all,
-BBH

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
rhubarb is a tart vegetable that is treated like a fruit and made into Pies preserves and jams and jellies..It is harvestable before anything else in the spring so it was always a treat for the subsistance farmer to have something fresh to eat...when I was a child we would steal a stalk off our grandfathers plants and eat it raw!!!...pucker power!!!!

I make strawberry rhubarb jam every year... I will try to find the recipe and send it on...
Thank you so much!

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have 3 horses actually. One is a companion horse, non rideable due to previous owners neglect and abuse. One is my daughter's horse a grey paint. And mine (also a rescued horse) is just a big brown horse. He was skin and bones when I rescued him. Once he gained weight he just kept getting bigger and bigger! He must be crossed with a draft or something...he looks like a giant pony! (Short neck fat butt and round tummy.) Funny looking, but a dream to ride. He is by far the best horse I've ever owned.

edited because I misspelled something and didn't catch it in the preview.

Latest posts