What should I do with RHUBARB? Any good recipes out there?

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Farmerlor,

Can you grow rhubarb there in Colorado? If so I found out that it comes back year after year.

What kind of horses do you have?

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Farmerlor,

Can you grow rhubarb there in Colorado? If so I found out that it comes back year after year.

What kind of horses do you have?
I've tried for three years to grow rhubarb here and it's not working.
We have Percherons.....well, actually the mare is Percheron and she got tangled up with a Belgian and had a pretty black baby boy who is now about 18 hands. This year she's going to have a half Friesian baby.

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Farmerlor,

(We might get moved if we dont talk about recipes!:lol:) I wish there was a BackYardHorses!! :p

Anyway, real quick, we live in a small community about 1 hours drive from Seattle. We live on Puget Sound so even though we are more north that Colorado we experience very mild weather because of the proximity to ocean. I started to think this is why it grows here rather than there. Then I remembered we had it back in Wisconsin too and it was extremely COLD there.

Our rhubarb is located under the apple trees in a semi shady spot. I didn't know it was there so I didn't do anything with it all winter. Maybe it likes to be ignored.

(I tried to edit my last post about my horse's fat BUTT not but. I couldn't get it to register the change.) My best friend in Texas rode a Perch crossed with a TB. I loved that horse!

I learned from Sufficient Self that we could make horse manure fire logs then burn them (I'm doing it outside!). The ashes from burned cow, or horse or even goat's poo makes your garden happier than if you were to just compost the stuff. Who da thunk!

We are all crazy aren't we? Life is great!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a strawberry and ruhbarb recipe from my grandmother somewhere. She had a bread and a cobbler... and other stuff.

I can't grow it here where I am now... how I miss New England sometimes.

Anyways just the first one is my recipe:

http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Summer's-Best-Strawberry-Rhubarb-Crisp/35142/

http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Strawberry-Rhubarb-Tarts/42754/

http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Strawberry-Rhubarb-Ice-Cream/30576/

http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Rhubarb-Custard-Pie/31437/

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
I have a strawberry and ruhbarb recipe from my grandmother somewhere. She had a bread and a cobbler... and other stuff.

I can't grow it here where I am now... how I miss New England sometimes.

Anyways just the first one is my recipe:

http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Summer's-Best-Strawberry-Rhubarb-Crisp/35142/

http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Strawberry-Rhubarb-Tarts/42754/

http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Strawberry-Rhubarb-Ice-Cream/30576/

http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Rhubarb-Custard-Pie/31437/
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!:)

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there! :happy_flower

An old English recipe for Rhubarb Fool, a totally wonderful desert & very easy to make. Now, I can't give you exact quantities or weights because it's made by eye :frow

Try to choose thinner rather than fat stalks; they are more delicate & not stringy. Pull the stalks off (about 2/3 stalks per person will be enough). Cut off the leaf & the bottom of the stalk where it joined the rest of the plant (you should never eat these parts as they could be dangerous) Then cut the stalk into one and a half inch pieces, place these in a ceramic cooking dish with some light brown sugar and micro-wave for a few minutes; don't add more than a tablespoonful of water as they are very juicy (go carefully here as you want them to be just cooked through but retaining their shape-- NO MUSH please)! Let this get cold.

Meanwhile whip cream until it thick & airy. Taste the rhubarb & sugar mixture to check if it's sweet enough; if not sweeten using powdered sugar. Then pour the sweetened rhubarb through a sieve (you should keep the liquid to drink for breakfast or mix with vodka as a treat), Press the drained fruit through the sieve with a wooden spoon. Mix this into the cream gently but thoroughly. You need 50% cream & 50% fruit. Pour the mixture into tall jelly glasses & chill in fridge for a while. Serve with thin cookies, either vanilla or ginger flavoured are nicest.

I think this recipe dates from the 1700's but it is still very popular. I was given a big bunch of rhubarb yesterday by my neighbor because mine has been wrecked by my chickens! :barnie

Never cook rhubarb in an iron or aluminum pot as it discolors -- both the pot & the fruit :sick

You can also make a wonderful cheesecake with it.

In the UK it is often blanched, in late winter, so you get these tender, pale pink stems which are a great delicacy. To do this you cover the plant with a large plastic bin for about 6 weeks.

Hope this is a help :thumbsup Give it a try it's YUMMY :ya :love :love :love

:rose Hattie :rose

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for that recipe!! Now I am going to pick all of the rhubarb BEFORE it gets too thick. I am glad you told me that. Bigger ISNT better in this case.

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
Hi there! :happy_flower

An old English recipe for Rhubarb Fool, a totally wonderful desert & very easy to make. Now, I can't give you exact quantities or weights because it's made by eye :frow

Try to choose thinner rather than fat stalks; they are more delicate & not stringy. Pull the stalks off (about 2/3 stalks per person will be enough). Cut off the leaf & the bottom of the stalk where it joined the rest of the plant (you should never eat these parts as they could be dangerous) Then cut the stalk into one and a half inch pieces, place these in a ceramic cooking dish with some light brown sugar and micro-wave for a few minutes; don't add more than a tablespoonful of water as they are very juicy (go carefully here as you want them to be just cooked through but retaining their shape-- NO MUSH please)! Let this get cold.

Meanwhile whip cream until it thick & airy. Taste the rhubarb & sugar mixture to check if it's sweet enough; if not sweeten using powdered sugar. Then pour the sweetened rhubarb through a sieve (you should keep the liquid to drink for breakfast or mix with vodka as a treat), Press the drained fruit through the sieve with a wooden spoon. Mix this into the cream gently but thoroughly. You need 50% cream & 50% fruit. Pour the mixture into tall jelly glasses & chill in fridge for a while. Serve with thin cookies, either vanilla or ginger flavoured are nicest.

I think this recipe dates from the 1700's but it is still very popular. I was given a big bunch of rhubarb yesterday by my neighbor because mine has been wrecked by my chickens! :barnie

Never cook rhubarb in an iron or aluminum pot as it discolors -- both the pot & the fruit :sick

You can also make a wonderful cheesecake with it.

In the UK it is often blanched, in late winter, so you get these tender, pale pink stems which are a great delicacy. To do this you cover the plant with a large plastic bin for about 6 weeks.

Hope this is a help :thumbsup Give it a try it's YUMMY :ya :love :love :love

When you blanch them, do you leave them in the ground and then cover them?

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Last year I juiced some. Add a little sugar and you have a GREAT drink, believe it or not!!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi big brown horse! :happy_flower

Yes, leave it in the ground. in fact you start to blanch from the first moment you see a nobble above the ground. At that point dump a pile of well-rotted compost on top & some straw if you have it but I have used shredded newspaper, water it if it's dry then upturn a large trash bin over the top (no holes in it & it needs to be really much larger than the plant). Then leave it for about a month before you start peeking. The thing with rhubarb is not to pick the whole plant just a few sticks at a time -- that way the plant will go on producing for months. If it starts to flower cut that stalk off , don't try to eat that one it.s not good. If you leave the flower spike on the plant will stop producing new leaf stalks.

Once you have used one plant to blanch for early rhubarb let it rest a year before you do it again. But you can still take off & eat the stalks from it as it ripens in it's normal cycle. So basically you can get by with 2 plants (they get huge 5-6ft across); just blanch each one on alternate years.

There is a small area in the North of England called The Rhubarb Triangle where they take the rhubarb crowns from the fields into some caves to blanch them gradually by candle light. These growers provide all the early stuff sold in the supermarkets etc; it sells for good money as it's so sweet a lovely colour. The funny thing is that in the caves you can actually hear it growing -- a soft creaking noise -- it's eerie!! They show film of it every year on TV when it comes into season.

It is also easy to take root cutting of it in the late fall/early winter. Just dig down & take some of the young pieces from round the outside. It dies back by fall but starts to revive after Christmas. In cold areas they tend to put a bale of straw over it. In Yorkshire I used to put some in a cold frame.

Hope this helps. There are masses of recipes for it on English food sites, have a look see!

Enjoy your weekend. :tools :tools :tools :tools :tools

Latest posts