What should I do with RHUBARB? Any good recipes out there?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi big brown horse,

Hmmm!! I'm not sure. :idunno

From the size I would say yes, but late April seems too late in the year. The latest I have started is February but my neighbor does still have his covered. So go ahead & try it as I am pretty sure the blanching is actually done to get an early crop which is sweeter than anything else growing at that time of the year. I suspect it might take a lot of vigour out of the plant so give it a good feed & keep it well-watered, maybe with manure tea? When summer comes & you take the cover off make sure you cut any flowering stalks off. Also give it masses of well-rotted manure in the fall & mulch with thick straw.

Keep us posted on how it does please. Good luck :D

:rose Hattie :rose

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cor !!!!!! beavis :duc

It makes my mouth pucker -- you are braver than me :sick

But then there are people who suck lemons .........!!!

I have never heard of that combination but if you like it...! Good for you. :thumbsup

Happy Gardening. :rainbow-sun :rainbow-sun

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
Hi everyone, :frow

If you cook it with an onion cut up fine, a little honey, root ginger, until it's soft, then whiz it all up into a puree & serve with grilled mackerel or sardines, especially good if they are cooked on the BBQ. you will need pieces of lemon to squeeze over the fish. I like it with grilled veggies (tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, aubergines, zucchini etc. You can make the sauce now & freeze it for the summer. I have also used it with duck but with orange juice instead of the lemon.

I hope you like it. HAPPY COOKING as well as GARDENING :ya

ok this sounds amazing! thank you!!!

I found this wonderful recipe yesterday I am going to try it sounds heavenly
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...asted-pepper-olive-crostini-recipe/index.html

I have loved using rhubarb with rich meats like duck and lamb ..and beef

besides crisps, pies, on ice cream ect it is a lovely condiment and seasoning for all kinds of foods..especially if you love the tang in Middle Eastern cooking there are lots of wonderful Persian and other recipes that include rhubarb as a savory sour addition

thanks again Hattie that sounds fantastic for those rich oily fishes! (now if I could just find some fresh sardines here to grill I would be a happy girl!)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I smoked a picnic roast this weekend and made some pulled pork
today I am taking the leftover meat along with the smoked bone and cooking it down with some rhubarb, a scoop of New Mexican red chile and sweet onions ...there was coriander, pepper. salt and cumin in the rub on the meat

hoping it will be smokey, tangy (it should come out like a bbq sauce) and just go together nicely!

rhubarb does make great bbq sauce :)

I am going to try a concrete leaf birdbath I saw on BYC board with my rhubarb leaves but I have to leave them alone and let some big ones grow!

it is hard ..do I sacrifice rhubarb for yard art hmmmmmm?

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
On the way to the market today I drove by this junky house with yard garbage all over the place, tarps on stuff, things sinking into the mud and I was so mad...when I saw that they had a huge, long, unruley row of rhubarb growing wild and untouched! The junk I didn't mind. :p

How many leaves do you need? This sounds like a fun project tell me about it or how to find it on BYC.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Hidelight :frow

That clam recipe sounds very interesting, as does your smoky pork -- it's making me really hungry. I'm also fascinated by your plans for the leaves -- is that the hypertufa project? I fancy trying some ideas out: I want to make a figure to stand in a grotto which I am planning in the part of the garden I have just re-claimed from the jungle that was a bramble & nettle no-go area. But I won't talk about that here as it's only too easy to hijack posts.

Rhubarb makes great chutney as well as jams & jellies. I'm told it makes a good wine too....?? I haven't tried that yet.

I remembered a desert I used to make a lot a few years ago. Cook the rhubarb very gently with sugar & vanilla(I used vanilla seeds from the inside of the bean but you could use good quality vanilla essence) The chunks of rhubarb need to stay in shape. Cool & refrigerate. Whip some cream till thick. Put a layer of the drained rhubarb in an heat-proof ramekin or cup & cover with the thick cream (you need about the same volume of both fruit & cream). Chill again for a couple of hours. Then sprinkle the top of the cream with sugar & then brown this sugar under a hot grill until melted -- I use one of those fancy chefs' blow torches -- but you can do it under your broiler/grill -- be careful & watch it, as you don't want the cream to melt, just the sugar. Chill again! Mmmmm!.....It is so delicious & yummy! I promise you your families will be begging you to make it again & again. :bow

You can also make this with uncooked raspberries, halves of uncooked grapes , just cooked blueberries etc. I hope this makes sense -- I fear it might not as I am so tired tonight ! I've had a very tough day. :th

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I could not find the post on the BYC board but here is a link that is the same thing you can use any leaves I guess and a giant rhubarb or those massive shade plants (I can not think of the name but they are in the shade and big as big can be!)

anyway here you go and since you can use rhubarb for this craft I think it is ok putting it here :)
http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/extras/53birdbath.php

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Got pictures?

big brown horse said:
O.k. just got back. I have 3-4 groupings of these red stalked big fluffy green leafed things. (One leaf off of each stalk.) Not all of it seems to be growing from the mysterious underground stump.

I thought it was certainly rhubarb because the previous owners of our land were major farmers. (It is the reason why we were attracted to this property.) It is the only thing that hasn't been marked AND it is just growing under the apple trees out of the grass. So Pat, thank you for potentially saving my life :D! Eating burdock doesn't sound like fun at all!!!

Keep you posted. In the mean time I am still open to any recipes just in case it IS in fact rhubarb.

Thank you all!!

Latest posts