What Southerners are Missing

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we've been making our own laundry soap for several years now.

this way we can use only a little of the scented soap in the mix and it doesn't stink so much.

we're also pretty reactive to a lot of scents and smoke. which is sad because i do like fires. luckily youtube has vids. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have gained ..

. over 1/2 hour since the shortest day. Yay!!

I was able to notice that, today. There was sorta bright sunlight, now and then. Just before sundown was one of those times and, soon after, I realized that I'd better begin my 30 minutes of walking if I would be seeing something other than 4 walls in one room, or the other.

It was 4:30pm and I could see sunlight, shining against a nearby hill! Yay!!!

:D Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I start seeing more daylight around Valentine's Day. Wow! Started reading this thread and @Gardening with Rabbits was sick of it before it even really started!!!! :th
I hated the recent arctic cold, esPECIALLY when I got frostbite in my fingers last week. The gloves were damp and it only took 10 minutes. All of the rest of me, including my feet were toasty. Never thought of the cold as dangerous before.
All of the livestock did fine. Even had hens laying during this. One of my EE mutts (that's ironic) is laying an egg that is so muddy that the color is hard to describe. It's almost like when you try to mix a brown, then add some green, a drop of blue, then add some red and you get...ugly.
When I color those for Easter it should be interesting.
Gonna check my onions and look forward to Spring, too.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have noticed more light. I cleaned the hutch out the other day and finished just before it started sprinkling and I enjoyed being outside. A lot of sun at the moment, but supposed to snow again.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
At that sunny moment @Gardening with Rabbits , I was out for a walk. First walking outdoors that I've done in weeks!

I would have had to go out of my way to walk on any ice. The snow in the sunshine is gone except where it has been piled. I noticed that the neighbors caring to shovel their sidewalks have snow piles. Those neighbors who just ignore the snow and allow people to trample it, have no snow. There's just the usual gravel, broken glass, dog poop and occasional beer can ...

I kept a scarf over my nose so as not to breath too much of the cold air. Still, I think it was a good idea. This walking indoors is for the birds ... or obsessive German Shepherds ...

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
D91EB234-3E8E-4164-A6A3-041A4940512F.jpeg FC8B0AD5-9D3E-4AE8-AB09-C737CED5ADA8.jpeg This is my winter so far.
Mary

Latest posts