What Southerners are Missing

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I didn't realize so many other people are offended by strong scents. The worst for me is going for a walk or slow jog in the neighborhood, and encountering the dryer sheet exhaust. I hold my breath and pick up the pace!
The other time it bothers me is when I enter the very tiny bathroom at work, and discover that someone sprayed a whole bunch of "air freshener". I would rather smell whatever it was they left behind, even if unpleasant.

Winter is long here, but I enjoy it if I can get out. Right now, the snow is a very hard crust, no good for skiing. Yesterday I came home to find a note from DH that he was out snowshoeing. I heard him coming home for about 10 minutes before he arrived here, - a loud echoing crunch as his snowshoes clacked along on top of the snow.
My new can't-get-outside activity is yoga. I started doing it everyday, following along on youtube, and it makes me feel great. I am surprised by how strong you must be to do certain poses, and I love the challenge of occasionally balancing on one foot.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
and I love the challenge of occasionally balancing on one foot.
I'm forever balancing on one foot!

Even the left, which is a particular challenge since there is so little stability to the left wing. The right has to take up considerable slack and do nearly all the heavy lifting.

Guidance must be left-directed, if not and left trailing, the left might spin me backwards and dump me in the ditch! Like the silly puppy, randomly cavorting, stopping, distracted. The right, however, trails but provides strength. A single sculling oar, one recognizes it by wear, the right shoe wears out at twice the pace!

Steve, gondolier
Then away we go to an island fair
That lies in a Southern sea:
We know not where, and we don't much care ...
Gilbert and Sullivan

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wherever that isle may be.

Coffee.gif

Baking Bread ...

:) Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, I too can't stand the soap aisle. Thank goodness I don't go there that often. You can hardly breathe!

Mary

we hold our breath a lot when shopping.

it's not that i don't like certain smells, but when they are so strong and i react to them it makes it hard to enjoy.

lilacs. i love 'em. they hate me. seemed like every little ol' lady who came into the library poured the stuff on right before heading out the door. at times i had to ask a co-worker to help someone because i could not be near them. :(

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is it with old ladies? They pour enough on that you can smell them 1/2 block away. Wife is starting to do it. Stinks me out of car.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is it with old ladies? They pour enough on that you can smell them 1/2 block away. Wife is starting to do it. Stinks me out of car.
In her defense the olfactory senses become diminished with age. She may need more to be able to smell it herself. DH can't stand scented candles or air fresheners so I now longer have them in the house. Most of them bother me too so it was no biggie. She may not know how overpowering it is. Gently let her know a little goes a long way even if she is not smelling it others can.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’ve told her. Her response, I didn’t put that much on....as I drive down the road with window down (& it’s 10 degrees out).

Yet she can smell everything else........

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’ve told her. Her response, I didn’t put that much on....as I drive down the road with window down (& it’s 10 degrees out).

Yet she can smell everything else........

if the routine is anything like normal, it would be a part of putting on the war paint sequence, right before heading out the door, so that also makes it extra strong until the first wave evaporates...

i have to have the window down when Mom puts on her hand lotion too... then she puts gloves on and that helps.

Latest posts