What Southerners are Missing

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey! I was born south of the Mason Dixon Line, if'n it stretched all the way across the continent ;). South of where Mary lives even.

Personally, I'd love to garden year round ... love it!

DW and I were talking today about that home of the C. maxima squash. I said that it was probably in the Andes at about the 20th parallel, north. Just guessing ... She says, "isn't it too cold?" Well, I don't know but I checked what is on the 20th parallel besides S. America -- Hawaii.

I don't want to bother with the tropics, even in the mountains. The sub-tropics can be cold at this time of year. I want to be beyond the 45th parallel, South!. With its nice long days of sunshine and warmth -- Right Now!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, it seems like you would be happier overall in a more gentle climate. Is there anything keeping you from taking the plunge and going for it?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
we've been making our own laundry soap for several years now.

this way we can use only a little of the scented soap in the mix and it doesn't stink so much.

we're also pretty reactive to a lot of scents and smoke. which is sad because i do like fires. luckily youtube has vids. :)

Been making my own since '06 and LOVE it. We don't add any scent, as I love the scent of the natural fibers of the clothing themselves. They just smell like cloth, which is wonderful to me.

My DIL uses the most stink in her laundry of anyone...and not content with stinky detergents, she ADDS more stink product on top of that just to put more STANK on it. I don't think I've ever been so dirty that my laundry needed that much cover scent...and I get REALLY dirty.

Stands watching as the villagers gather their torches and pitchforks and heads to Mary's house..... :smack :D

Those are fun to look at, but don't even give me a twinge of envy Mary. I love my winters. :love

If I had to garden year round I'd probably be a real grump, haha.

Amen, sister! :woot Love my falls and winters too! :love Spring is so much more springier and well appreciated if you've had to wait on it. Love the different smells of every season, the different skies, sights and sounds. I love taking the winter off and letting the soils and perennials do the same.

Life is good here in the middle! :love Nothing too extreme for very long, four lovely seasons, wonderful variety in life.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed yeah, we have someone we know that they use so much scented stuff the smell sticks to the inside of food storage bags. we now know to take our own glass container with us to use as leftover transport back home. it seems to mostly come from the fabric softeners and dryer sheets they use. *phew* potent stuff... i can do without. since i react to so many things i like to limit what is coming my way. :) for deoderant the one i can tolerate is a crystal stick. barely...

and agreed on the four seasons. :) i like having a break to recover some and to do other things (need i say sort beans? :) )?????

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's not that I don't love gardening, and summers, and all that goes with it.
But I get an awful lot of it and personally, there is a lot more to my life than growing and taking care of plants. By fall I'm getting burned out on the crazy pace that is my growing/working season, and need a break from plants.
Winter is refreshing in it's complete change. I can spend time doing all those other things that the other seasons crowd out.
Yes, thank God for winter!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Winter is refreshing in it's complete change. I can spend time doing all those other things that the other seasons crowd out.

all of that, exactly... :) when the frosts get here i'm ready for something different. and when spring gets here i'm ready for something different again. it all fits together very nicely.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's not that I don't love gardening, and summers, and all that goes with it.
But I get an awful lot of it and personally, there is a lot more to my life than growing and taking care of plants. By fall I'm getting burned out on the crazy pace that is my growing/working season, and need a break from plants.

Amen. I garden to produce food. After food is produced, I eat the food. Do it again next season. I LOVE gardening, but winter is time for research, learning, resting, decluttering our lives, planning, refueling the life battery run down by three seasons of doing everything under the sun.

Winter is a blessing to me, though I often dream of getting outside and getting busy on things, it forces me to get out of that mode of busy and into a mode of stillness, waiting and learning patience, which is so good for the body, mind and spirit.

Latest posts