Where do these names come from?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
How sweet! I like the details she adds, the steam from the bowls, the partially seen label on the herb container, and I like the way she drew the noses. I think that's creative! :)

She has olives in the salad just the way my wife makes it, and, the salt and pepper shakers have white and black. Like they say: "The devil is in the detail."

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of those names are family traditions. My grandfather was called Pop so my brother has his grandkids call him Pop. I'm Papaw, not sure where that came from.

Some come from the kids. My granddaughter calls my wife Grandma (insert last name). But her other grandmother is Plain Grandma. One time there was confusion about which grandmother she was talking about so she said plain grandma. My daughter-in-laws parents are the grandparents in residence, we live about 10 hours away, so Plain Grandma babysits a lot. I guess we are exotic. Plain Grandma loves it, by the way.

A little off topic, maybe, but many years ago I took a bump on a country road a bit hard and a kid in the back bounced a bit. He was probably 5 or 6. He immediately started shouting Hucks and Doo-Doo and just laughing. He wanted to do it again. Hucks and Doo-Doo. Hucks and Doo-Doo. It took a while to figure out he was talking about the TV show Dukes of Hazzard.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
My DD's started called my MIL "Bugga" and that name stuck. We STILL say, "What would Bugga do?" referencing her strong Christian matriarchal influence on all of us.
DD had Mickey Mouse sandals, couldn't pronounce it right and called them, "Binky Sandos," but "Binky" was a short lived moniker and hardy suitable for the tough county 29yo prosecutor that she has become.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love this thread :loveWhat a fabulous Mother's Day gift Ava gave her Gay Gay . No fancy monikers here. Just Grandma and Papa. ;) My DH started calling his Dad the Old Man before it was a nasty remark. People would be horrified when he address the FIL as Old Man. LOL Some things stick, Youngest son mispronounced / or we just heard him wrong on 2 things we still tease him about. Squirrels where Corn curls, and a Crow was Blick gross!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ava loves to draw so naturally, one of the gifts my wife received for Mother's Day was a drawing. Theresa is teaching Ava to cook and bake so that is the theme of the drawing. Ava has called Theresa Gay Gay since she began to speak. At first, Theresa was not at all thrilled with the name, but now she would not change it for anything. No one has a clue as to where Gay Gay came from, and at this point neither does Ava, but it will stick around forever I guess. So here is a scene from Gay Gay's house. :rolleyes:

View attachment 19915
I LOVE THIS! My oldest grandson called us Ga-ga and Ga-ga when learning to talk. There was a little bit of difference in how he said it. But Gay-Gay? Adorable.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My great grandmother was Mama Wall (Wall was her last name) My great grand father was simply Papa. My mother's mother thought all those cute grand parent names were dreadful and insisted on being called Grandmother, because it sounded dignified. My mother was Grandma, my father was Peepaw. My husband and I are Papaw and Mamaw.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here's one for you, when I was having chemo in 13 one of the volunteers at the cancer clinic ( kept you comfortable with warm blankets and tempting you with cups of tea or coffee and yummy treats), she was a few years older than me. We got talking about our families and much to our surprise found out our families knew each other very well, in fact some of her relatives lived across the street from us when I was very young and her uncle drove the delivery truck for my grandfather's grocery store.
When I told her who I was I actually saw a tear in her eye and when she told me her name I blurted out OMG you're Bonfire, when I was four I couldn't say Laverne, how I came up with Bonfire is a mystery but it stuck and she remembered laughing at the name I came up with for her. We had a real good old catch up after that.

Annette

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i always called mine grandpa but i remember my younger cousin calling him papa which when i first heard him saying it sounded like Popeye! that stuck for a few years when my cousin was little. grandpa did a good impression of him since he was a fisherman earlier on in his life, came from Newfoundland area so had an accent sort of sounded like garbled Irish, & later in life worked for the Saugus Iron Works till he retired in the late 80's. so you could say he was a muscle man with all that lifting over the years.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Grandpa and Grandma were just that, my Mom has been Granny, Grandma Mammam and is now Mammy by my oldest grandgirl. Mammam has been her longest running name, started by my boys but now they alternate between Mammam or "The Ol' Bat", when they want to get a laugh out of her. Dad has always been Grandpa or Pawpaw, mostly Pawpaw.

I wanted to be called Granny but it's too difficult for little girls who can't say their "Rs", so I'm Ganny to the 3 yr old and Nan-nan to the 1 yr old. Their other grandmother wanted to be called Gigi, as she felt like she wasn't old enough to be called a grandmother.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I did a loan closing with the names "Kim and Cindy(can't remember her name), let's call them "Smith." When HE answered my confirmation call I didn't question that Kim was a man. During the closing he brought up a clerk at McDonald's who thought that Kim was his daughter. Kim is an asian man's first name but ALSO a British man's first name.

Latest posts