Where do these names come from?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
my dad is that way using his middle name. only because my father & grandfather had the same 1st name but dad wasn't a Junior or II. it at least messes with the telemarketers looking for my dad when he tells them that person isn't here.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My name is Alexander, I have been called anything that starts with Al. Only when in trouble with a teacher would I hear Alexander. Funny once was reading a book that said Sandy is nick name for Alexander. Most friends call me Ali, Al or Alex

I envy you. My first name is Jeremy, so the kids in my class thought the appropriate nickname was "Germy" (which ironically it actually is, according to some guides I have read)

Not that I am likely to do better. I often thought that, if I had a son, his nickname would be "Selly". If pressed I could pretend that his fist name was Selwynn after an uncle of mine (Jewish tradition, you have to name your kids after relatives who have died *, **) But in fact I wanted his REAL first name to be Celadon, after the greenish Chinese Porcelain. I'd get arrested for that in some countries (there are countries that have a list of permitted first names for children, and you have to pick one of those)

BTW, I was thinking about old and out of date first names. Out of curiosity, does anyone here know anyone living whose first name is Obed or Obediah? Or did that go out of style when the Quakers stopped having control of New England shipping (and no, "Sky" Masterson from Guys and Dolls doesn't count, nor does the one who is part of Monty Python's "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch***)

*Technically, after the relative who has died most recently, but only really Orthodox people are that strict (and no, I don't know what happens if two people are born into your family before your next relative dies.)

** Not that it has to be that close. The relative I was named after was named Yetta.

***Which actually predates Monty Python, It was first used on At Last The 1948 Show (with Marty Feldman as one of the men.)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I envy you. My first name is Jeremy, so the kids in my class thought the appropriate nickname was "Germy" (which ironically it actually is, according to some guides I have read)

BTW, I was thinking about old and out of date first names. Out of curiosity, does anyone here know anyone living whose first name is Obed or Obediah?

** Not that it has to be that close. The relative I was named after was named Yetta.
Many years ago I drove a Jeremiah his friends called him Jeremy or GERMY ;)

I worked for a De Etta , son had a GF in HS whose Mom was a Vetta (all called her Vets.)

I now have a family that rides my bus. Ava and Hattie (12yr. old twins) Yorty(10) and Obediah (8)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
There was a very wealthy Texas family named the Hoggs. 2 daughters where born in to the family and where named Ima and Ura. Can you imagine being introduce Ima Hogg and Ura hogg :lol::lol::lol: They donated millions of dollars worth of art to the Houston Museum of Fine Art so must have run in high society.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
There was a very wealthy Texas family named the Hoggs. 2 daughters where born in to the family and where named Ima and Ura. Can you imagine being introduce Ima Hogg and Ura hogg :lol::lol::lol: They donated millions of dollars worth of art to the Houston Museum of Fine Art so must have run in high society.

Actually the Ura is a myth
But what I love more is the fact that, in the early 19th century there was a noted merchant in New York city named Preserved Fish (a member of the Hamilton-Fishes"

And I went to college with a girl of Chinese decent named Mary-Jane Shu (We used to joke if she took up riding, she should be nicknamed "Saddle" Shu or if she got a Rhodes scolarship and went to England, Oxford.)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I let a good friend name my puppy after a few martinis. Ophelia will be 14 this month.

Our cats names have always ended up being a double edged sword

Our fist cat was named Pesto by me, since when we got her, she had a greenish stain on her otherwise white fur (her ancestry was unknown, but she had the appearance of a European Odd Eyed white; all white fur one blue eye, one yellow eye) and I thought she looked like a bowl of spaghetti with pesto sauce. The double side there is that "Pesto" sounds a lot like "Pest" and she was a handful (other nicknames she got were "white dragon" (born in the Year of the Dragon, as far as we could tell), "Short White and Furry" (as in "Tall Dark and Handsome) and "Her Nibs, Georgia Pussycat" (Mom's, I have no idea what it meant)

My sister got our second cat (after Pesto passed away) while I was in college. She decided she wanted to take a botanical name from one of my books and so she became Cassia (the real name for most of what we call cinnamon in this country). Of course, the double side came in here as well as Cassia is the old name for the legume genus that has now been split in half and it's other side named after it's most famous member, Senna (i.e. the laxative) which fits her well (as she is often a pain in the a**) Nicknames for her include ""Short brown and Furry" (same idea) and "She Who Must be Obeyed" (we watch a lot of British TV and quite liked Rumpole of the Bailey).

Latest posts