Where do these names come from?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
A myth oh no :thI loved that story.

Well, Ima's still real, her sister just wasn't named Ura. And she did do exactly what you said.

Others (note, most of these are apocryphal, I have just heard of them)

a Russian immigrant named Abi Sidi Yief Giyech (Ripley's)

A person named C.U. Sunday who lived in Early Mass.
A person named Quoth D. Raven who lived in Never Mo.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Often it was the practice to call children by their middle name here. Maybe it started when people named children after close family or friends. My youngest son is named Michael Jordan (yes my husband is a sports nut) but we call him Jordan or Jordy. Most people outside of the family calls him Michael or Mikey.

My mother went by her middle name, my brother goes by his middle name and there was a big confusion about my grandfather and after researching found out he was going by his middle name. My grandmother had the middle name Earl. Nobody would believe me, but I had birth certificates of all her 5 children including my dad, and she signed her own full name as the mother on her daughter's birth certificate. My 3rd cousin was called aunt because she was older and help raise my mother, but when she was born she did not have a middle name and for social security purposes she picked her own middle name and picked Lee. All of this was in Oklahoma and Arkansas.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My mother went by her middle name, my brother goes by his middle name and there was a big confusion about my grandfather and after researching found out he was going by his middle name. My grandmother had the middle name Earl. Nobody would believe me, but I had birth certificates of all her 5 children including my dad, and she signed her own full name as the mother on her daughter's birth certificate. My 3rd cousin was called aunt because she was older and help raise my mother, but when she was born she did not have a middle name and for social security purposes she picked her own middle name and picked Lee. All of this was in Oklahoma and Arkansas.

I do not have a middle name social insecurity had never had an issue with it.. Alaska had me as PennyJo N/A Britton Washington has it correct
as PennyJo Britton

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My daughter changed the spelling of my name with the phone company :\. It is Stephen. She had them spell it Stephan. Apparently, the "ph" has become uncommon to the extent that someone new that I meet and who has seen my name written is likely to call me "Stefan." I'd say that it is now about 50% of the time! That likelihood may grow if I'm now in-the-book as "Stephan."

My 3rd cousin was called aunt because she was older and help raise my mother

I know that I've related this before but my grandfather had an "Aunt Sis." I often become confused trying to find the words to describe how she was an Aunt Sis ... I'll try again: She married a Claborn. My great grandfather married a Claborn. These were brother and sister, apparently, altho there was a fair amount of difference in their ages - as evidenced by their tombstones. Anyway, my great grandfather's paternal aunt was also his sister-in-law ...

Shoot! I think I still got lost in all that!!!

Anyway, my grandfather was orphaned and raised by his father's Aunt Sis. He called her that, as well.

digitS' what'shisname

Latest posts