Where do you buy your seeds?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Send a self-addressed envelope to:

WinterSown Six Pack
1989 School Street
East Meadow, NC 11554

On your envelope make sure you put 2 stamps for the seeds they send back to you!

I've sent away 3 times and have received between 9-12 packs of seeds each time. I just sent off another envelope... I was feeling guilty but I packed up an envelope of extra seeds I had to donate. I have received 5 packs of tomatoes, pole beans, spinach, brocolli and squash so far as veggies. I've just planted the pole beans and tomatoes this weekend, so I'll tell you how they do!

(Oh, and they are heirloom tomatoes!)

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
SewingDiva said:
obsessed said:
I haven't had to great an experience with seeds bought from stores like kmart or homedepot, very low germination rates.
This has been my experience as well, and although I must admit started plants I've bought at my local Home Depot have been very disappointing; I've had much better experience with Lowes started plants and they have more interesting varieties.

As for seeds, Im pretty partial to Johnny's because they are local to Mass; their seeds keep a long time. I don't buy new seed each year, I try to use up what I have from the previous year unless I don't like that particular variety, such as "White Wonder"

tomatoes, which grew well for us but we didnt like the taste and texture. Last year I germinated 4 year old Johnnys Brandywine seeds and the germination rate was still 80%.

Phyllis
Yep, I love Johnny's, too. We've ordered from them for over 15 years, and we've planted a packet of spinach seed on the third year after we bought it, and gotten a tremendous germination rate. Johnny's has a good selection, too, and even though they're in Maine, they carry varieties that will do well in the warmer climates, too. The descriptions tell you what climate the seed or plant is designed for.

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I like to shop online or by catalog. My favorite seed company Pinetree seeds but I get a lot of my heirloom tomatoes from tomato fest and Baker seeds.

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem said:
Send a self-addressed envelope to:

WinterSown Six Pack
1989 School Street
East Meadow, NC 11554

On your envelope make sure you put 2 stamps for the seeds they send back to you!

I've sent away 3 times and have received between 9-12 packs of seeds each time. I just sent off another envelope... I was feeling guilty but I packed up an envelope of extra seeds I had to donate. I have received 5 packs of tomatoes, pole beans, spinach, brocolli and squash so far as veggies. I've just planted the pole beans and tomatoes this weekend, so I'll tell you how they do!

(Oh, and they are heirloom tomatoes!)
Do you have to donate seeds? I am just getting started so I don't have any seeds to exchange. Hopefully if I have a good harvest I can dry some to give away next year.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No, you don't have to donate. Just send them your envelope and they will send you seeds.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yep just send your envelope right off to them!

I've donated once, but received envelope #5 from them today! I'm all gitty for new seeds... just got a lot of repeats this time around.

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Buying seed packets from a big retailer can be very disapointing to be sure. They get a great deal from the seed company and the product get no service from a rep. They put them up and sell them out.

Independent garden centers on the other hand are much more reliable. Most are getting their product right now and most have people from the sedd company that come in on a regular basis to reorder more packets and make sure that everything is the way it should be.

I am in the business and am just offering information that many people may not know. Also if you happen to be in the garden center when the seed rep is there most are happy to answer any question you may have. :)

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
gone 2 seed said:
Thank you all.

I wish we had an area here on the board by zone as I never know what to plant when.
I bought a book called "Month by month gardening in Pennsylvania" It's awesome. Tells you when to start seed inside, when to plant started plants outside, when to plant a send crop, what varieties do well, everything! I know there are similar books for other states but don't know if they are available for ALL states. I got mine on Ebay...maybe do a search.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know there is a month by month gardening for Lousiana. I found it at Home Depot and at the library.

Latest posts