Where do you buy your seeds?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
TanksHill said:
obsessed said:
i just got my Baker creek catalog and I was like wow. It was like an art book than a catalog. It had the most beautiful.
It says that his mother is the artist who does the covers and they sell cards with all her past artwork. I though about framing some for my house. I liked them too!!!!
I've actually framed some of the seed packets from Kitchen Garden Seeds, and I saved some of the prettiest packets from Baker Seeds to do the same thing. The only problem is that they put stickers on them some times, but I was able to CAREFULLY remove the one from the tomato packet.
Wow I never thought of seed packets as art. I may have to buy from baker next year.

kaycei

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I bought from Home Depot, Walmart (bleh), FleetFarm and Target last year for my containers. (I ended up with far more seeds than I had space for and saved a bunch of stuff for this year.) I was happy with my garden results, but it was my first year.
This year I've bought from Home Depot and FleetFarm again. My FleetFarm has a huge selection of seeds, whereas my Home Depot seems to be mainly Burpee seeds, and they don't seem to pay attention to the needs of the zone. (I picked up Emerald Artichokes, which aren't even close to being hardy in my area, and they have take 180-360 days to harvest. I'm not even sure if I have 180 days between frosts.)
I've also ordered from reimerseeds.com and swallowtailgardenseeds.com this year. I planted the Reimer seeds (primarily artichokes and asparagus) 2 weeks ago and noticed sprouts today. I planted the swallowtail seeds 2 weeks ago as well, the dahlia came up pretty quickly, and I was surprised to see Fresca Strawberries sprout so soon. The lisianthus haven't sprouted yet, but I know they will be difficult.
When it comes to seeds, I'm like a kid in a candy store. One of my coworkers gave me a catalog for Seeds of Change, and it has a bunch of interesting looking, organic varieties. I keep telling myself I'm done and haven't ordered anything, or looked through it seriously.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
My adventure for this year is Bakersville Heirloom Seeds. While doing an online search about Mansfield Mo. I found this pioneer village that specializes in rare seeds. I requested a catalogue and it just came the other day. It is amazing. I really can't decide on what to order I want to try all the rare stuff. It's amazing. The young man who started the catalogue has a great story.

I am so excited!!!!! :weee
I too just discovered Baker Creek Seeds I want one of everything!!!!
Imagine the owner is just 28 and has been selling seeds since he was in High School!!!

I usually buy from Johnny's Select Seed...it is employee owned and they all have a big stake in making sure their product is great...I have bought a lot over the years from them and have never been disappointed...We have a few small green houses in the area and I will buy plants from them, they are very good on giving out advice...

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I bought a bunch from the BIG display at Lowe's and I have ordered a lot on Ebay. I am amazed how many seed sellers are on there. There are tons of great deals on heirlooms.

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Burgess Seed & Plant Co.
Bloomington, Il.

My Mother ordered

Yellow Doll Watermelon
Gourds
Blue Potatoes
Orange Sunshine Watermelon
Mixture of Sweet Bell Peppers
Garden Huckleberry
Ground Cherry Tomato

We already have some tomatoes in little starter pots. I just got the rows of the garden made yesterday and a nice little fence put up around it the day before.

obsessed said:
I sent for free tomatoes seeds from
www.wintersown.org
:D
I wanted to say Thank You for posting that site. It has a lot of good information for someone new like me. I am really into the idea of saving your own seeds. I am kind of trying to get into the self suffiecient thing. Anybody grow the Fairy Tale ornamental eggplant before? Those look kinda cool

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Catalina said:
:ya I finally have all my seeds!!!

Baker's creek were the last to arrive, today in the mail.
They are so cute. I ordered Malabar Spinich and they were out of stock, so they refunded my money. The same thing happened last year.
They stapled 2 $1.00 bills and taped 2 quarters to my invoice.
:rainbow-sun So cute!
Look on Ebay. I got some on there a week or 2 ago.

Latest posts