Who collects colored glass besides me?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks @valley ranch, it's not much of a house by today's standards, the floors slope from the house settling and not being righted before the previous owners stuccoed but we decided when we were first married we would never live beyond our means. Except for a few years when I worked part time for a nurseryman, we've been a one salary family. At one time our house didn't have a bathroom there was an outhouse out back. Previous owner had taken a corner of the fairly large kitchen and made a small bathroom, it was on a septic tank when we bought but sine then we hooked up to the newly put in sewer line. The only thing is this bathroom was poorly laid out, another thing I wanted changed. DH said not a big deal but he'd have to change the window to a smaller one, it never seemed to be the right time to do it :rolleyes:. One spring day after banging my hip on the edge of the bathtub once again, enough is enough. I got the crowbar and ripped all the walls down, when DH came home from work he found them all in the middle of the dining room floor, all he said was I guess I'd better go buy a new tub, toilet, sink and window. Between the two of us we gutted, put in a new window and put in the new fixtures. New sink is still in the same place but now in a cabinet instead of sitting on a curtained 2x4 frame, spacesaver tub is now across back wall, much better layout. I painted it an off white pale green but when the sun streamed in the little window it almost blinded you so I repainted, the color of green I chose isn't quite what I had hoped for, I wish I had picked a darker avocado but until the next time it will have to do. This is what it looks like now,
DSCN1969.JPG DSCN1965.JPG
DSCN1967.JPG

We went to a place that made counter tops and got them to make us a tub surround, they came out and measured the space and made one to fit, it's seamless.

Not only have I high jacked my own thread, I've bombarded you with all my little projects, it's just another case of when I get on a roll I just go on, and on, and on :hide. Tiling all the floors is another story, it started out it was just to be the living room :lol:.

Annette

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love house stories, my mother loved her Spackle. Her way of dealing with old plaster walls in bad shape was wall paper. Growing up almost every room was papered.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Annette, I love your house. It is beautiful. You should be proud of it and all your hard work. You are one of the ladies here that I admire so much. You can do so many things that I can't. I can only change a light bulb. :)

Mary

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Annette, I love your house. It is beautiful. You should be proud of it and all your hard work. You are one of the ladies here that I admire so much. You can do so many things that I can't. I can only change a light bulb. :)
Mary

Thanks Mary, I don't know if you could call it beautiful but we find it comfortable and it's very lived in. I'm betting you can and do a lot more than changing light bulbs ;). Besides when you start with what we did you don't think twice about taking a crowbar to it :).

Annette

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like your place too. It's very sweet, and looks so homey and comfortable. That's what home means. :)

I have a small, (well, tiny actually), glass collection. My mom and sister used to collect old glass like magpies and would find pieces for me that they thought I would like. I like yellow and mom found me some dessert plates with roses around the rim, and an elevated bowl that I use for fruit. I have a citrus juicer in yellow that my sis gave me that I keep on the kitchen sink windowsill to catch the light.
A friends mom, who has passed away gave me some pieces that she found in her backyard. An old glass baby bottle that holds about 4 ounces and is not round but a flattened oval. It has become a pale violet color. Also a small cobalt blue medicine bottle. Those are also in the windowsill. It faces west, so they all sparkle in the afternoon.

Mom loved the old pink depression glass and bought a lighted display cabinet to keep it all in. All her peices were pawned by the miscreant sibling right after she passed away, but she missed a few that mom had tucked into a high cabinet that didn't fit in her display, so those went to sis to be passed along to her daughters.

Latest posts