Who has been here the longest?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been spending time on a forum for fish. I never realized how good the members here are till then. Also how @Nifty pretty much lets us do what we want ( within reason ). On other forum People get attacked for things like spelling and punctuation, god forbid you post in wrong section. I posted a question about feeding, posted in general discussion was told I was told wrong section no one should reply. Someone's post was reposted with all punctuation corrected like home work.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the oldest thread I can find: https://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/lookin-good.2/

You see that @silkiechicken is here and @terrielacy . Both are BYC moderators - Terrielacy co-authored that book with Rob (Nifty). Silkiechicken, I really enjoyed. She was a student (poultry science) in Oregon and from western WA. I knew her locations and had a respect for her schooling. I don't know if she is still around on BYC. And, yes - I came here from BYC but it took me a month after the link showed up on that site. Ya know, there wasn't much here for awhile ;)!

Hey, I had scoped-out a chicken site about 12 years ago and then lost it! Then, I found it again - except it had changed! Rob had taken it over. Somewhere he describes how he was interested in the hobby and forum but then found that the webmaster was just going to shut it down. He got permission to take it over and ... that's how BYC started :).

I really miss some of those who have come and gone. @Southern Gardener should never have drifted away. I know that @Reinbeau had some health problems and she probably had to give up gardening at 2 homes. It always seems to be how people end their TEG participation. You might think that this is more of a social than garden site but when people aren't gardeners anymore, they drift away. And then again, we have had some very active members who gardened on the balcony of their apartment. Silkiechicken was like that.

... + a number.
And the number was: ONE. Yes, she liked to stir the pot but, unlike a lot of folks here and the stereotypical idea of PC this-&-that, she was liberal pot-stirrer! And, PC? I think NOT! Contemptuous of even those who were inclined to agree with her but unlikely to "take to the streets," I guess o_O.

digitS'

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think Hoodat has been around as long as I have. Didn't know I was so OLD. :thI also think I was the first or second member on SS and was early on BYH, though probably not as early on as at SS.

It has changed for the better, I think, though it was a nice forum even from the beginning, though a tad slow. Moves along a little faster now, especially in gardening season. Of all the BYC sites, this one is the nicest on which to post...folks seem more mature, less needful of force feeding an agenda and insisting everyone drink the Koolaid.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should never have brought up a specific person. The troll comment was meant to be more generic anyway, there are others that I think were on here just to stir things up and promote a certain agenda. I just think the trolling has dropped noticeably from few years back.

I don't have a problem with people forming relationships and all that. We still respond to gardening questions and many keep threads going about how their gardens are doing. It's still a gardening forum, just a friendly one as long as we stay away from most politics.

Last edited:

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
What a fun discussion!!! :clap

I never realized how good the members here are till then. Also how @Nifty pretty much lets us do what we want ( within reason ). On other forum People get attacked for things like spelling and punctuation, god forbid you post in wrong section.

Finding the perfect balance between too much freedom and too many rules is very tricky, but I know I can feel confident in our balance when we run into situations where I get two private messages at the same time where one person says, "You guys need to stop allowing members like xyz from doing zyx!" and another saying, "You run this site like a Nazi and have too many restrictions!!!" ;)

Seriously though, we have such a great group of old and new members that make moderation pretty dang easy! :thumbsup

Latest posts