Who is starting seeds indoors this season?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Speaking of SEEDS, if your area is like MINE, and you like to plant Brussels Spouts mid summer, you need to buy your seeds right now! By June/July there won't be any, except from the catalogs, and who wants to pay for the S&H for such a small order.
I have already bought 3 packages of good quality name brand Brussels Spouts seeds, bc I intend to grow a LOT.
Funny story...so last summer I bought some really old clearance plants. I mean, they were the orphans Nobody wanted, and I planted them in a bed with some cabbage. After the hard freezes I hadn't paid much attention to this bed, but I look out the other day and discovered that THEY were Brussels Sprouts that I COULD have harvested in November!!! :th:hit:hit:hit
I REALLY want to grow a LOT of them this year, wash off and freeze in dinner sized portions.
I guess the horses will eat them now. HATE to just compost them. :hit:hit:hit

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I fill voids with purchases at the garden center.

There might be some analogies with life in general ;). It certainly reflects my sense of organization and forgetfulness ...

I can get in trouble! Snapdragons, with so few seeds in the package that I could sneeze them away before they even make it to the cookie box! Last year, I forgot to order my Rock Stars punkins. Too late, I'm fixin to start seeds in the greenhouse. At the garden center, I picked up Montana Jack and Casper .......... Hey! I checked their background -- the reverse side of the seed packets. It said that they both were 90 day wonders. I needed that uniform performance, sure!

Worse season in the punkin patch in years! Maybe they would have performed better in another setting but, shoot, I can almost see Montana from my garden. And, nobody sees Casper unless he wants them to! And, why do they call it "ghosting," anyway? Wouldn't that mean hanging around for centuries while others move on? Anyway, I plan to be back to the Rock Stars.

Steve :D

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some things are just perplexing. One of my stickers is violets. For some reason, I can't seem to get either seed OR the potted ones in the nurseries to take. What is baffling is that quite often the ones I am trying to plant are plain old Viola soraria i.e. the same damn species that is growing WILD all over the place here. All that is different is the flower color (we have Natural Standard Blue and Confederate, I want to try and add flat white and Delft Blue) It isn't transplant, I move the wild ones around all the time. And other species are hopeless Labradors die in a year or so and nothing else even takes.

Can't grow Dutchman's Breeches either even though I am in the natural wild zone. There, I think I just keep getting crappy plants (I need to find a wild bunch and take some of them).

Then again I've only been able to do pansies for a few years. Before that, the only non nursery ones I would get was the odd johnny jump up that showed up spontaneously. In fact for a long while I simply assumed that, no matter what the pansy looked like, if you re planted the seed it would turn back into a johnny jump up* (I STILL think that happens with morning glories)**

*Actually, for the smaller violas they often do.

**Based on what I have seen I have a feeling that, over successive generations a lot of morning glories revert to their solid white form. Whether this is actually happening or I am simply seeing wild field bindweed plants and THINKING they are morning glories, I do not know.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No seeds yet just rooted cuttings of a coleus I've kept going for a couple of years.
The variety "Henna" couldn't find this variety for sale anywhere. I pinched the cuttings (with permission) from a friend of my son's back in the fall of 2014. Right now the cuttings are an insipid green sitting on the kitchen counter but look what they will produce later this year. A closeup with a little hitchhiker :).
DSCN6907.JPG

At times the undersides of the leaves are a florescent purple. This is one of the sun tolerant Coleus and doesn't flower, or at least it hasn't done for me.

Annette

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
No seeds yet just rooted cuttings of a coleus I've kept going for a couple of years.
The variety "Henna" couldn't find this variety for sale anywhere. I pinched the cuttings (with permission) from a friend of my son's back in the fall of 2014. Right now the cuttings are an insipid green sitting on the kitchen counter but look what they will produce later this year. A closeup with a little hitchhiker :).
View attachment 24431

At times the undersides of the leaves are a florescent purple. This is one of the sun tolerant Coleus and doesn't flower, or at least it hasn't done for me.

Annette
Put this on the POW thread! Beautiful!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner i wonder if it is a soil innoculation type of thing going on there as i know that some plants only do well if they are moved along with enough of their soil to create the right soil community. i also seem to think that violets are a woodland plant so the soil should be fairly rich with detritus from trees and perhaps kept fairly well mulched in the fall with leaves. just guessing... the local woodland park here has white, yellow and purple types, i am not up on species names.

Latest posts