Who is starting seeds indoors this season?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does anyone go to garden center and pick out seeds based on the pretty pictures on package :hide

heck no.... when i am buying seeds online they are by the packet which 20+seeds or once/pound, the box store displays are sold by the 1/4 or 1/2 gram and they what twice the amount... now dont get me wrong thats great for subdivision growers who have a backyard the size of a postage stamp...

i'm like @baymule i research whats best to grow in my area... photos they provide are to get you hooked....

now flowers thats the dw department.......

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Using trash...again. You know when you buy crisco sticks? They come in a rectangular plastic 5 sided package with aluminum foil on top that you throw away after opening. I put starter soil in about 1/2 full and started the Walla Walla onion seeds in it. I put it in a plastic sandwich bag after watering and put it under a grow light. We will see what happens.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going to try starting seeds again this year, after a few years hiatus. I have two small zip up roll around plastic greenhouses. They will have to go in my hallway next to two large windows that face south. But we keep our home at 64 during the day, so I'm gonna need some heat of some sort. We've discovered that So. Oregon is fog every damn day. Cold fog. Every day. Cold...ugh.

I've never been able to afford a heat mat. I have an older hanging grow light from years ago, but its so huge, that its impossible to use. I need to sell it off to the pot growers here. I did buy a 2' LED plant grow light at HD the other day. Now trying to determine how to string it up in the plastic cheapie greenhouse.

I order my seeds too. And seed trade with friends.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've discovered that So. Oregon is fog every damn day. Cold fog. Every day. Cold...ugh.
Ha! Oh, pardon me for laughing. Maybe it helps to imagine being down in the Rogue Valley when half the land was taken up by orchards and having the smudging season roll around. Kof ... gasp! Maybe fresh fog helps sinuses ...

Less light than optimal, my plants often have that problem. Each year I think about dragging out the 8' fluorescents for the greenhouse. It wouldn't take too much but then we have good sunshine maybe 66.6% of the time. I should then get the fixtures outta the way!

While things are still in the South Window, one set-up would make more sense. DW would not be happy about me putting hooks in her new ceiling ... Ya know, I bet that they have some more attractive fittings for attaching ... oh. Why don't I just scheme out a suitable stand ... better be safe. Imagine something like that falling on seedlings ..!

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going to try starting seeds again this year, after a few years hiatus. I have two small zip up roll around plastic greenhouses. They will have to go in my hallway next to two large windows that face south. But we keep our home at 64 during the day, so I'm gonna need some heat of some sort. We've discovered that So. Oregon is fog every damn day. Cold fog. Every day. Cold...ugh.

I've never been able to afford a heat mat. I have an older hanging grow light from years ago, but its so huge, that its impossible to use. I need to sell it off to the pot growers here. I did buy a 2' LED plant grow light at HD the other day. Now trying to determine how to string it up in the plastic cheapie greenhouse.

I order my seeds too. And seed trade with friends.

I used zip ties to hang my LED lights.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
But we keep our home at 64 during the day, so I'm gonna need some heat of some sort. We've discovered that So. Oregon is fog every damn day. Cold fog. Every day. Cold...ugh.
If you can still find a regular incandecent light, you could put it near the bottom of the shelving. The heat will rise and with the zipper closed should stay warm enough. It shouldn't take much heat to go from 64 to 74 degrees.

I have several two foot florescent lights tied over the shelves in my two zip-up mini greenhouses since they start in the basement with little light. Always warm in there.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have heard of using zip ties. ;)
I decided that the metal shelves and the old metal bookcase shelf I pushed up to the wall next to it needed to have permanent jobs, growing seeds during the winter (and in the future) and pot, etc. storage during the warm months. I gotta have a good place to start my Brussels Spouts seeds early next summer. Like I said, I walk by them every day 2x to take care of my livestock, so I can check on them. If I start the Brussels Sprouts next June on the porch they will dry out on me. :rant
This morning I took the crocus bulbs and Dutch Iris bulbs that I forgot about and planted them in containers in the kitchen next to the window and on the window shelf and on the windowsill in the west facing bedroom window a few inches from the radiator. Some of them have already sprouted, I am sure some dried out, so we will see in the next few weeks. I put plastic on top and around the pots to keep in the moisture. I plan to grow them inside and them put on on the south yard at DD's house. They have a grassy section under a tree. It grows grass early Spring and then the old tree shades it out. I think I can plant the bulbs there like in May when they are "past it" and they can brighten up the lawn next Spring. I am pretty sure that they will multiply on their own. I have daffodils on the west edge bed of my cistern that I moved last Spring. I will "harvest" them to put in DD's yard, too, along with the crocus and the iris. Haven't given up on DD's landscaping yet.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have heard of using zip ties. ;)
I decided that the metal shelves and the old metal bookcase shelf I pushed up to the wall next to it needed to have permanent jobs, growing seeds during the winter (and in the future) and pot, etc. storage during the warm months. I gotta have a good place to start my Brussels Spouts seeds early next summer. Like I said, I walk by them every day 2x to take care of my livestock, so I can check on them. If I start the Brussels Sprouts next June on the porch they will dry out on me. :rant
This morning I took the crocus bulbs and Dutch Iris bulbs that I forgot about and planted them in containers in the kitchen next to the window and on the window shelf and on the windowsill in the west facing bedroom window a few inches from the radiator. Some of them have already sprouted, I am sure some dried out, so we will see in the next few weeks. I put plastic on top and around the pots to keep in the moisture. I plan to grow them inside and them put on on the south yard at DD's house. They have a grassy section under a tree. It grows grass early Spring and then the old tree shades it out. I think I can plant the bulbs there like in May when they are "past it" and they can brighten up the lawn next Spring. I am pretty sure that they will multiply on their own. I have daffodils on the west edge bed of my cistern that I moved last Spring. I will "harvest" them to put in DD's yard, too, along with the crocus and the iris. Haven't given up on DD's landscaping yet.

@ducks4you crocuses are chipmunk attractors (the bulbs) and the leaves are bunny, deer, etc. attractor. if you want to protect those bulbs after planting cover them with hardware mesh down a few inches and hope the chipmunks won't get to them from the sides.

i really miss having a lot of crocuses here, but the chipmunks and friends have sometimes raided me back to almost nothing. i'd have to make small boxes to
go around the bulbs... a few summers ago we were so overrun with chipmunks that we trapped nearly 50 of them within a few weeks. since then they have not returned in such numbers, but they are still a pest at times. like, they got almost all my edamame soybeans last year. i don't mind sharing a few plants/beans with any creature, but when they get all but 3 out of several hundred i do take exception (and get the air gun and traps out)... not that it did me any good. the gun wasn't sighted in and i needed new ammo. this year, i am ready, but i am not planning on planting edamame soybeans either...

Latest posts